...Getting a start in a new state...

LongDistanceLove
Hello all!

My girlfriend graduated from UNLV with a B.A. in Criminal Justice, focusing on becoming a Crime Scene Analyst someday ... This was roughly 3 years ago, as she has been waiting to find her chance to place a foot in the door while allowing me time to finish college ... Recently she began the background/polygraph process for a civilian position within the Metro department ...

Where things get tricky is that she had planned to move to California, but was reserved when she saw that many jobs required a valid CA driver's license ... Now she is torn between keeping herself open for the Las Vegas position, or getting started in California ...

My questions are these (do know that I HAVE taken time to browse the site on my own, but this is not my area of expertise by any means):

#1: Once cause for reserve was certifications ... Much like my own field of IT, there are many certs you can pick up or even should ... Along with searching c-s-i.net, what major certifications does she need? ...
1a: Do they differ between CA and NV, or are they interchangable?

#2: I think CA uses the "criminalist" term for their position, is this similar to a CSA?

#3: Is there another field of study she should look into for continued education? She mentioned a desire to go back to school as some positions required a bit more chemistry or like subjects ...

#4: If she were to start in a position at Metro, does the possibility exist of transferring to CA? ... It doesn't seem likely that departments would transfer in that way ...

I'm sure I will have more questions, but thank you now for any input you may have ...

=LDL=

Re: ...Getting a start in a new state...

Elizabeth
1. As long as she has a valid driver's license, she can get a CA one; I'm totally missing the problem here...
2. There are tons of certs. You can get hired without them, usually the department will pay for them after you get hired.
3. Honestly, more education isn't going to help her get a job. Experience is what departments are looking for.
4. Criminalist and Crime Scene Analysts are different job descriptions, at least they are in my department.
5. Why do you think she wouldn't be able to transfer? If she wants to transfer after getting experience, why can't she; again, I'm totally missing the problem...

Re: ...Getting a start in a new state...

I will try to answer some.

1.  Not much in the ways of certifications you can get for crime scene until you have the years of experience.  There are several certifications through the IAI and a couple smaller organizations. The IAI certifications are recognized world wide.

2.  Different agencies use different job titles.  Just have to read the job descriptions.  Job titles are a dime a dozen.

3.  Alot of agencies are looking more for hard science degrees for the most part. More biology and chemistry is great.  There are specialized training through private companies and stuff that teach crime scene classes and etc... www.theiai.org has a list of classes she may be able to take.

4.  I can't say what the odds of her transferring from metro to CA.