Glass Fragments

Calvin Wong
Hello everybody I just have a question to ask. I am doing a case study and there is something I dont understand. Okay here goes
A woman was found murdered in the bedroom of her apartment. The cause of death was sharp force trauma due to the large number of stab wounds(17) that she sustained to the face, throat and chest. She was found dead near her bedroom window where a large pile of glass fragments were found to the east of her body. However underneath her window there was a shoe impression with some glass fragments imbedded in it. However there was no sign of a break-in because the front door was unlocked and the murder weapon has also been found. So what role would the window play in this case. Thank you

Re: Glass Fragments

Jules
Was the bedroom window broken from the outside to the inside?  Is that where the glass came from?  It is obvious that the glass on the floor resulted prior to the footprint.  The window broken would be a forced entry, unless they struggled and the window was broken from the inside.  It is hard to tell sometimes if glass is broken from inside out or outside in.  Ex: a swinging door slammed with glass pains - the force of the slam could make it appear that glass was broken from the outside.

Re: Glass Fragments

jersey
Without actually seeing the scene...my first thought was that the perp forced entry into the bedroom through the window.  Maybe the vic surprised the perp and there wa a struggle.  The vic was killed during the struggle and the perp, fleeing in a hurry after committing murder, chose to unlock the front door and leave rather than climb back through the window.