Help please

Melissa
Hello!

I'm Portuguese and i'm 21 years old and i finished my degree in Forensic Science a few months ago.
Do you know if i have a chance to get hired if i aplly to a job in the "employment section"? Or it's better for me got to the states first?

I'm kind of lost now, because here in Portugal is really really difficult to find a job in this area. Everyone, all my classmates is worried because no one can get a job...

I would apreciate some answers.

Thanks :)

Re: Help please

Wilson CSI
To be a sworn officer you have to be a US Citizen.

But if you want to do civlian crime scene investigations there are agencies that will hire non us citizens as long as they have legal work status.  I know of an agency that hired someone from overseas and she works as the supervisor of the unit.  All you can do is apply and ask.

Re: Help please

Melissa—

You can apply, but before you are hired for a job in the United States you must have legal status to work in the United States.

To work as a non-permanent resident in the United States you would have to find an employer who will sponsor you for a temporary worker visa for a job opening they have. Since there are a lot of USA citizens applying for the CSI and forensic jobs, it will be difficult for you to get an agency to go to the trouble of sponsoring you unless you have a lot of experience or a speciality they really want. And most agencies want career employees, not temporary workers.

Another way to work legally in the United States would be to get a Green Card (Permanent Residence). It is possible to get a Green Card through a job offer. (You may be eligible to become a permanent resident based on an offer of permanent employment in the United States. Most categories require an employer to get a labor certification and then file a Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, for you.)

Melissa wrote