Help with becoming a CSI

Katy
Hello,

I have a criminology degree and I want to know what I need to do in order to be a Crime Scene Investigator. Do I need to get a certification? A lot of people say I need a hard science, but I do not want to analyse it... just collect it and maybe get a certification. There is an online CSI certification on IAI that looks good.

Re: Help with becoming a CSI

Elizabeth
Just apply everywhere that is hiring. It will take a while, but it will happen. A hard science degree is preferred in most jobs, whether you're collecting and (you will do a little) analyzing, or not. You can't get the IAI cert until you have at least a year experience in the field. Certifications are not needed to get a job, but they help. Honestly, wait until you're hired and have you dept pay for them; they are so expensive!!

Re: Help with becoming a CSI

Katy—

Having a degree in Criminology is good, but you probably need a little more training to stand out from all the other applicants competing for a CSI job.

Unfortunately, to receive certification from the International Association for Identification you have to be employed in crime scene related activities for one year. So you can't get the certification now.

You could attend a Crime Scene Investigation Certificate Program to receive CSI specific training. One such program is the Crime Scene Investigation Summer Certificate offered at the University of California in Riverside, California. The summer program runs from July 7 through August 8, 2014. (The University has resources for housing for out of town students.) I teach in the program and believe it is one of the best programs of its kind. We have had students from all over the United States. Many who have received the CSI Certificate have been successful in becoming employed as a CSI.

http://www.extension.ucr.edu/academics/summer/crime_scene.html

Katy wrote