Helpp

are_mniez
I'm studying criminal justice. If I want to become a criminalist. What I have to do?

Re: Helpp

are mniez—

If you want to be a criminalist that works in a crime laboratory you need a degree in science, not criminal justice. Until recently, a BS in a natural science like Biology, with a good amount of chemistry, has been the usual requirement. Now, many agencies will accept a BS in Forensic Science. I suggest you look at the Criminalist and other Laboratory job openings posted on the Crime Scene Investigator Network to see what different employers require. If you identify an agency you would like to work for someday, do whatever they require to apply. If they require a BS in Biology, then get a BS in Biology, etc.

If you want to work in the field as a crime scene investigator you do not need a Biology degree (a few agencies require the crime scene investigators have a science degree—but those agencies are in the minority). The requirements for crime scene investigators vary from agency to agency. I suggest you look at the Crime Scene Investigators and Crime Scene Technicians job openings posted on the Crime Scene Investigator Network to see what different employers require. If you identify an agency you would like to work for someday, do whatever they require to apply.

You should also look at this page: Becoming a Crime Scene Investigator for more information about becoming a CSI or Forensic Scientist.

Re: Helpp

are_mniez
Oh, it's better  BS in biology than CJ?
I am 18 years old. But I need orientation because I'm Very confused and nobody here has orientated me.  I'm From Puerto Rico. But I plan that when I finished my studies, move to the US. I really like this career, and I need your help/orientation please.

What's the difference between a criminalist and a CSI?

Re: Helpp

are_mniez—

Generally, a CSI works in the field documenting crime scenes and collecting evidence. A Criminalist works in a crime laboratory analyzing evidence that was submitted to the crime laboratory by a Crime Scene Investigator.

If you want to work at crime scenes collecting evidence then you can be a Crime Scene Investigator or Field Evidence Technician. For many Crime Scene Investigator jobs you do not need the level of education needed to become a Criminalist.

If you want to work in a crime laboratory analyzing evidence that was submitted to the crime laboratory by a Crime Scene Investigator then you would be a Criminalist. If you want to be a criminalist that works in a crime laboratory you need a degree in science, not criminal justice. Until recently, a BS in a natural science like Biology, with a good amount of chemistry, has been the usual requirement. Now, many agencies will accept a BS in Forensic Science.

If you are not sure which you want to be, then it would be advisable to get a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology. As far as your question about what classes in biology you need: You need all the classes the University requires for you to get the degree.

I suggest you look at the following page: How to Become a Crime Scene Investigator. It should give you an idea of what you need to do to become a CSI or Forensic Scientist.

Also, there are over 600 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs. Look through the job announcements to see what employers require in education.

Re: Helpp

Sknappa2s
I also think being involved in organizations will help you with network opportunities.  Check out the American College of Forensic Examiners Institute.  It is not a college per se but it is an organization that certifies people in the forensic field. The phone number is 800-423-9731, ask for Shellie.