How do beginning Crime Scene Investigators handle the smell?

How do beginning Crime Scene Investigators handle the smell?

Daniel
I am just curious how do detectives deal with the smell in the beginning? Do people use that Vicks medicine(I forgot what it was called but mom said that would help)? Thank you

Re: How do beginning Crime Scene Investigators handle the smell?

Wilson CSI
At first I used either Vicks or vanilla bean.   I rarely use anything now unless it is a bad decomp.  At one scene I used the fire department's mask and oxygen.

Re: How do beginning Crime Scene Investigators handle the smell?

Curtis 286
I used 2 drops of Olbas Oil on my ordinary mask, particularly during autopsies. This is an issue you begin to forget about as you begin to get comfortable with the job.

Re: How do beginning Crime Scene Investigators handle the smell?

Elizabeth
I never used anything. The smell never bothered me at all. I had one badly decomposed body (been there for 4 summer months in an enclosed house before he was found), and I didn't need a mask, or Vicks rub or anything. It all depends on the person I guess. Never needed anything at my autopsies either.