How much school do I need?

Aimee
I don't know what classes to take
niether how many yrs.
Someone help.

Re: How much school do I need?

Sara Staggs
Here you go, this should get you started.  http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/becomeone.html

Re: How much school do I need?

JBRREX
I have a Baccalaureate in Nursing and I am interest in starting a Master degree in Forensic Science. In what area I can seek with my Nursing backgroun

Re: How much school do I need?

DanielPJr
i would try looking into the forensic nursing field?

Re: How much school do I need?

Alicia
ITT Technical Institute has a great hands-on Criminal Justice degree that you can get online or at one of their campuses. An Associates degree takes 2yrs and a Bachelors degree takes a total of 4yrs. If you want to take your career seriously then don't skimp on your education.

Re: How much school do I need?

AmberM
It can take anywhere from 6 to 10 years from the time you graduate high school. This includes the time at college. Many CSI’s will have a Bachelor’s degree. Some people can become CSI's without a college education, but the education makes a person more competitive to get the job that they want. The vast majority of CSI's are police officers. They must be hired by a police department and complete the police academy training and work for many years in lower positions before being able to apply for a CSI position. Once a person is selected to become a CSI, they will receive advanced training at an academy, and serve as an apprentice. While working as a police officer, you should take all the opportunities you can to assist in crime scene processing. This will improve your chances of becoming a CSI and give you experience that will help in obtaining a position as a CSI.

Re: How much school do I need?

Bhunter2k9
The only problem with itt is they charge a fortune for their classes.. try like 37,000 for two years.. id reccoment a community college

Re: How much school do I need?

SFChuck
I've looked at a large number of online and traditional campus schools offering various forensic and criminal justice programs.  Many of them charge tuition and fee rates that are WAY beyond  what it would rationally cost to offer the programs.  One can only assume there is a VERY large profit motive at work.

Community colleges in California are a good deal.  The in-state tuition rate is set by law at $26.00 per unit so a typical 18 unit certificate program will cost less than $500.00 for tuition.  Of course, books, fees, etc., will be extra.
See my web site at http://eastbaymedia.net

Re: south african school student

nikita
hi, there i am a 16 year old south arfican school student. i am a very hard working learner and am extremely passionate about forensic science, and all the thrills and spills that come along with it.next year i will be finishing my schooling career, but i need re assurance as to wether this is a career thet i would be happy doing and aswell as excel in...

Re: south african school student

Dale
I am new to this forum and old to the field. There are many opportunities for free training. My personal experience is that I learned more about CSI stuff from the anthropology department at university than from the criminal justice programs. Most "police" CSI programs will not prepare you to replace me in 4 years, 3 months 13 days when I retire. Check with the state historical society for an archaeological field school. You get lots of common sense and technical field & lab experience. You can get college credit for  a fee or volunteer for free. Check for an Explorer Scout program or citizen police academy near home. Find a nearby geo survey & volunteer. Learn to use a Total Station for free. Take a practical (get references) budget and bookkeeping class. Check with laboratory suppliers. Many will offer free online safety classes. Take all the free online FEMA classes you can stomach. I do not want to have to pay your salary while you take them so that my department will be grant eligible. Take a photography class with a rec department or a local distributor or manufacturer. READ< READ and do more reading on your chosen field & career. Get a job with Service Master. I want someone who is safe & thorough. I want someone who is physically fit. The more practical training and common sense you have, the more likely I am to hire you. Keep accurate records of instructors names and dates of any training you receive. If its not written down, it never happened.

Re: How much school do I need?

Joseph Rauch
I'm new at this, it is an AA degree needed, only. In Los Angeles to work for the Sheriff's Department of Forensics, a Bachelor's Degree is needed as well. There are schools that teach online courses, in which hands on training is included in the curriculum, just like being in a real school.

Re: south african school student

Joseph Rauch
Thanks, for such information. How do such ones get in touch with these organizations?

Re: How much school do I need?

Josh
Gosh, you almost sound like you work for ITT! ITT is a "Nationally" accredited school which is not the same as a "regionally" accredited school. Most big colleges (UCLA, USC, etc.) are regionally accredited & will NOT accept transfers from nationally accredited schools. The same also applies to many employers. So if you're going to go the ITT route, make sure that you check out what you're future employers are really looking for.

Re: How much school do I need?

Erin Dominguez
Hello there!

If you haven’t decided yet on what degree to pursue, you might want to consider Forensic Nursing. I find it really interesting and quite different from the normal career in nursing field. If you’re having the feeling of wanting to get your degree in Forensic Nursing, I suggest you do it online. We have a list of top accredited online colleges and universities here: http://www.accredited-online-colleges.com/ which are remarkably producing thousands of successful professionals.

Here, http://www.forensicnursing.org/ take time to read this. It’s a great resource and you’ll be able to learn more about what a forensic nurse does, the scopes and limitations, and find out more resources and references of FN. Hope this helps.

Best luck!