How to advance

bboy_jon
Alright everyone, so I graduated last December with a BA in biology. I have been working at a DNA/paternity testing lab for almost a year now...will be a year in February. Anyways, I am not really enjoying what I am doing right now...getting paid enough to get by with bills, and I do the same mindless tasks everyday; break cheek swabs, do some reactions and throw them into thermal cyclers. I was considering going back to school for a another bachelors except in engineering, but after finding out that I wont really be able to get much from student loans the idea does not seem as feasible. So now I am considering on trying to further my career into forensics. I figure, why spend four more years in undergrad being a broke college student, graduating and making a bit more money, when I can potentially continue working and four years from now make similar money?

Anyways, I figure I can work in my lab for another year or two to get some more experience; hopefully one of my coworkers will be leaving this summer and I will be able to take her position which would involve actually analyzing PCR data. My company also re-emburses for further schooling as long as it relates to what we do. So I was considering, maybe I should get a masters while I continue working for them. My lab mgr just got completed his online masters from the university of florida. I was considering

http://www.forensicscience.ufl.edu/index.php?/programs/ms_forsci/

Would this be helpful at all or are there better programs that I should try for? Definitely want to stick with the whole online degree thing if possible. After I get the masters (if I do) would I stand a good chance at landing positions at crime labs? I think it would really be cool to do firearm/weapon analysis type stuff but how would I get the experience for that? Would I need certifications?