How to be in Forensics Field?

Jessica
Hi,

I am really interested in pressuring a career in the forensics field in the future. However, the college that I am currently attending does not have a forensics major. Is it possible to still be in the forensics field with a degree in science such as biology or chemistry degree? Or is it preferred to have a forensics science degree?

Re: How to be in Forensics Field?

Wilson CSI
A hard science like Biology or Chemistry has always been preferred for Forensic jobs.

Re: How to be in Forensics Field?

Jessica—

Until recently, a BS in a natural science like Biology, with a good amount of chemistry, has been the usual requirement. Now, many agencies will accept a BS in Forensic Science. So yes, you can get into forensics with a BS in Biology or Chemistry.

I suggest you look at the Employment Opportunities posted on the Crime Scene Investigator Network to see what different employers require. If you identify an agency you would like to work for someday, do whatever they require to apply. If they require a BS in Biology, then get a BS in Biology, etc.