How to get into the field of Crime Scene Investigation

How to get into the field of Crime Scene Investigation

Maria
Hello everyone, I have a BS and a MS in Criminal Justice as well as an AS in Biomedical Photography. Yet, with all of those degrees I am still having a hard time getting into the field of Crime Scene Investigation. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I should go about doing this to try to increase my chances of actually getting a job in this field.

I am also interested in the field of Crime Scene Analysis, but again I am having a hard time getting into that field as well.

Any thoughts, suggestions or guidance that anyone can offer me would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all in advance.

Re: How to get into the field of Crime Scene Investigation

Maria—

Criminal Justice degrees do not carry much weight other than to show you can stick it out in a degree program. Most agencies are looking for someone with a bit more CSI specific training.

For someone who just has a Criminal Justice degree, I suggest they consider getting specialized training in Crime Scene Investigations. There are programs that focus just on Crime Scene Investigations. One such program is the Crime Scene Investigation Certificate Program offered at the University of California. They have a Summer Academy in which you can receive specialized training in Crime Scene Investigations and receive a certificate upon successful completion of the program. The Summer Academy starts in July each year and runs for five weeks. People come from all over the United States for the five week training. A certificate for more specialized training will make you more marketable. Here is the link for a brochure on the program: CSI Academy brochure. To enroll or receive more information: Crime Scene Investigation Summer Certificate Program.

I happen to teach in the CSI Certificate program and can tell you we have had several students go on to get jobs as Crime Scene Investigators.

— Steve

Re: How to get into the field of Crime Scene Investigation

Bo Jo
Steve,
I'm am active duty so it's hard for me to attend the morning classes at UCR. Does a online certification make a difference from the academy certificate?

Re: How to get into the field of Crime Scene Investigation

Sknappa2s
I also think being involved in organizations will help you with network opportunities.  Check out the American College of Forensic Examiners Institute.  It is not a college per se but it is an organization that certifies people in the forensic field. The phone number is 800-423-9731, ask for Shellie.