How to make a start

Helen Faulkner
Hi,

I just answered a message about getting a forensics job in America based on books but I also have a question about moving for this type of work.

Currently I have a 2:1 BSc hons Zoology degree and have worked in an analytical chemistry lab for 5 years. I have considered taking another part time degree to aid finding work and am looking at options but although I have wanted to get into forensics for a number of years (and not because of the TV program CSI which I first saw after deciding that forensics looked interesting) I do not quite know where to start out.
I like the idea of trace tech but doubt I would have the necessary skills to obtain a job in that sector and the jobs on this site appear to be for intermediate or senior positions so what I want to know is how I can get in on the ground floor?
Would it be worth applying for a post on this site and seeing if I got anywhere or should I look at getting other science employment in USA and then look locally for junior positions?
If I applied for print tech could I later move into trace or toxicology after getting appropriate training or would it be more advantageous to get as much experience with analysis and forensics as possible in this country before looking for a job abroad?

Any help or advise on this would be great, moving for work seems to be a pipe dream but one that simply will not go away.

Re: How to make a start

Sara Staggs
Hi Helen,

It sounds like you have a good amount of lab experience, plus a hard science degree.  You could definately get a lab-based job in the Forensic arena. Although if you wanted to do something along the lines of a trace evidence technician, you might need additional education unless you find a department that is willing to train you because of the background you already have.

There are several certificate programs and associate degrees that deal with gathering crime scene evidence and then processing that evidence that would be great to supplement your current experience with if you decide to go that route.  Here is our Colleges and Training page (http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/csi-training.html) for you to look through and see if anything fits what you'd most like to do.

Also, here is our Become a CSI page, just for reference info! http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/becomeone.html

Hope that helps.