How to provide comfort post-sexual assault without contaminating victim prior to forensic exam?

How to provide comfort post-sexual assault without contaminating victim prior to forensic exam?

Ms. Policy Writer Social Worker
I came across this site while putting together policy/practice for our institution in relation to PREA.  PREA says first responders are to inform the victim not to go to the bathroom, eat, drink etc prior to a medical/forensic exam, and I wrote that into policy.  But then I came across in other protocol (relating to drug testing possible drug-related sexual assaults) that if the victim needs to use the restroom prior to the exam, then that is to be allowed with a urine sample taken and chain of evidence completed, and with the number of times the victim used the restroom recorded.  To me, that is valuable information that should be added to our policy even though we probably wouldn't face a drug related sexual assault.  Because to me, we don't need a victim urinating on herself while being escorted to an offsite medical facility if she really has to urinate after the assault.

My social worker brain is now asking the questions: If we have a sobbing, semi-hysterical victim, how can we provide some comfort to her without contaminating her person prior to the exam?  With it being preferred that the victim not eat, drink, brush teeth etc prior to the medical/forensic exam, if she starts to insist on water or something to get the taste out of her mouth, I know that should not be allowed, but can something like ice be offered? Are there somethings that can be allowed that would not damage the results of the exam?  Or should nothing at all be offered?

I have found a number of helpful articles already on this site and will continue on my search.

Thank you in advance for any responses!

Re: How to provide comfort post-sexual assault without contaminating victim prior to forensic exam?

csidt1
Dear Ms. Policy Writer,

I would suggest that you contact the local IFNA Forensic Nurses Association and submit your questions to them. I am certain that they will be more than willing to provide you with a very good solution. The International Forensic Nursing Association is perhaps the most important resource in the field of Forensic Science.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM, Ms. Policy Writer Social Worker [via Crime Scene Investigator Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

To unsubscribe from Crime Scene Investigator Forum, click here.
NAML

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.

Re: How to provide comfort post-sexual assault without contaminating victim prior to forensic exam?

Ms. Policy Writer Social Worker
Thanks, CSIDT1!
I will do that!!