I Want To Be A Crime Scene Investigator

TracyWinget
I have been working in the corporate world for almost 15 years. I started out in the Records Department as a micrographics technician, eventually moved to a crew leader position with the Mail Services department and was promoted to a supervisory position this past year. I have been attending Ashford University online for just over a year, working towards a Business Administration degree. After working in the corporate world for several years and spending a year taking classes, it has become very obvious to me that I do not want to spend the next 30 years doing this. I have always been extremely interested in crime scene investigating and forensics, but never really thought about pursuing it because I thought I needed to be a police officer in order to do either of those jobs. After recently doing further research I am discovering that many police departments employ civilians for these types of positions. Ashford offers degrees in criminal justice with specializations in forensics, so I am in the process of changing my major. I won't have my degree until 2015, and financially I need to continue to work full time, but I'm wondering what my best bet would be in landing a position quickly in this field after getting my degree. I would be willing to work part-time to get experience or even just volunteer when I'm not working my regular job. I looked at my local police department's web site and in our local newspaper and they don't even have any full time positions listed...I have a feeling that I'm going to have to move to a bigger city to get a job, which I'm OK with. But, like I said, I REALLY want to try to get some experience before I'm done with my degree. Any thoughts?
Dg

Re: I Want To Be A Crime Scene Investigator

Dg
Hello,
I decided to go back to school and earned a B.S. in CJ and forensics.  I have been trying to obtain employment as a crime scene tech for a year and a half, without any luck.  I have applied to over 100 jobs around the U.S., out of all of them, 4 tests which I passed, and only 1 phone interview.  This is a very competitive field to find employment in, especially entry level.  One job in NC had over 1200 applicants for 1 position, not to discourage you but it will take time and patience to find employment.  It's frustrating when you fill out a 30 page personal history questionnaire, have it notorized, and never hear anything back.  I would suggest switching your major to a natural science or take extra science classes, that would help a lot.  I wish you good luck and always stay determined in the job hunt when your finished with school.

Re: I Want To Be A Crime Scene Investigator

fileokingsley
go for the experience first.

Re: I Want To Be A Crime Scene Investigator

Delany Herron
How old do you need to be to be a official investigator?