I have an embarrassing question to ask...

I have an embarrassing question to ask...

user2937
I'm 20 years old going on 21 but still  can't drive. Can this fact effect my outlook of getting a job in crime scene investigation fields?
The reason I can't drive is because there is no one willing to teach me. My parents absolutely refuse to teach me saying a a professional instructor would be better but even my instructor is failing me. She has been to busy helping her friend open a convenience store (or so she claims) to teach me. I feel since she is a paid instructor that teaching me to drive should be her priority especially since I'm not getting any younger.
Not having my license has cost me job opportunities in the past but those jobs were just in retail. The people interviewing me always chuckle to themselves when they hear that I still don't have my license (which I'm beginning to give up on) then they seem to want nothing more than to shove me out the door.
I swear I live in middle of nowhere and there is no one else to teach me otherwise I would have changed teachers months ago.

Additionally: I do have a state issued pictured ID

Re: I have an embarrassing question to ask...

Amy wilder
HI, I JUST WANTED TO SAY DNT FEEL BAD I AM 19 GOIN ON TWENTY N I DONT HAVE A LICENCE NEITHER BUT I CAN  DRIVE A LITTLE I TAUGHT MY SELF THE LIL I DO KNO IT JUS LIKE DRIVING A GO CART JUS A BIGGER OBJECT START OFF SLOW U WILL GET THE HANG OF IT...

Re: I have an embarrassing question to ask...

user2937
This post was updated on .
Yeah, I can drive a little too. But knowing I'm not the only one my age without a license makes me feel better! I hope to have my license or to have taken my driving test at least once by my 21st birthday. (It's in November!)
So far I've only driven on roads with light traffic, but that's okay with me! At least I get to drive on those sometimes. :)

But I still need to know! Will this keep me from getting a job position on a Crime Scene Unit or something similar? Even if it's just a volunteering position? At the moment I'm interested in volunteering in my town's crime scene unit.
HM

Re: I have an embarrassing question to ask...

HM
I will agree that not having a license will cause some issues in getting a job, mostly due to employers wanting to be sure that you are able to get to work.  You wouldn't be the first to not have your license in your twenties.  I've heard of people not getting it until they were 25 or so, and not because there was anything wrong, they just didn't feel they needed one.  People in Europe tend to ride bikes, so if they came to the US, some of them may be much older than you and are faced with having to get a license for the first time.  Many people in the US don't realize that.

Though, if you are paying someone to teach you to drive, then you should be a priority over her friend, that is not at all good business.  Can't you find someone else, another instructor?  I certainly would be.

Re: I have an embarrassing question to ask...

Dave
Not being able to drive your self to a crime scene can put a big kink in things.  Unless you can get your mom or dad to drive you to crime scenes I would learn how to drive.  :-)   Good luck

Re: I have an embarrassing question to ask...

Kasondra
Agreed learn how to drive. Find a formal driving education class and take the courses, you will most likely be with teens or young adults but it would be your best option.  I would say for most any CSI job you need a Driver's license. At least every post I see has it as a requirement.

Re: I have an embarrassing question to ask...

Erin Dominguez
Agree! You should be able to drive. How can you go to crime scenes especially in emergencies when you don't know even how to drive, so you'll have to commute? It would be such a disaster, really. If nobody wants to teach you, then do self-learning. You can watch lessons on how to drive on youtube.com or online tutorial and then practice executing what you've learned. Hope that works for you. Best luck! :-)

Re: I have an embarrassing question to ask...

Sue C.
Hope to God that you have found someone to teach you to drive.  I wouldn't suggest learning from youtube.  Go to your local Dept. of Motor Vehicles and inquire about a driving instructor.  If they don't have one, surely they know of a place to teach you.