I'm stuck...

Jason
I will be completing my Ph.D. in Bioanalytical Chemistry in about two months, and I have applied to multiple forensic scientist positions so far, and only received rejections without any interviews.

I use GC, GC-MS, LC, LC-MS, and FTIR for my graduate projects pretty heavily, and I have served as a teaching associate for the instrumental analysis labs and lecture at my school for six semesters. I have been very productive in graduate schools and published papers in Analytical Chemistry, Journal of American Chemical Society, and Biochemistry.

I'm over quality for entry level positions and don't have enough experience for regular ones.

How do I move forward and gain experience in forensic sciences?

Re: I'm stuck...

CSI Tink
I think your biggest problem is in thinking you're over qualified for every level positions. You have school experience, not forensic experience. Pay your dues in entry level and you'll find something much quicker.

Re: I'm stuck...

Jason
No I totally agreed with you, I actually have to applied to entry level positions (about 50%) in order to gain more experience but I've only gotten rejections so far, it was just frustrating.
dc

Re: I'm stuck...

dc
Jason,

I completely empathize it took me a very long time to get my position.. I would find that entry level positions still wanted 2 to 3 years experience which blew my mind. What I ended up doing was finding a position in the same field. I got 1.5 years experience in that and then when I started applying for CSI jobs I put out 6 applications and got 6 interviews. I took a job as a Fingerprint analyst it was a trainee job and then I became an analyst after a year and within 5 months of that I had doors opening for me.

so maybe look for entry level jobs that are similar Evidence technicians or Fingerprint analysts. Getting your foot in the door will really help.

Re: I'm stuck...

Jason
Thank you for your feedback dc. It was very informative and helpful. I agreed, and willing, to take on a trainee job for a couple years to get my foot in the door. thank you!

Re: I'm stuck...

Jason
I will apply for trainee jobs for firearms and latent prints because I believe I will get to learn a lot of new and exciting stuff!