I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

Syntonomy
So basically I have been invited to do an examination for a position I applied for, "Crime Scene Technician." The position's requirements were Bachelor's Science degree which I have (Biocemistry), but I do not have any actual crime scene experience. The job posting didn't mention anything about experience though, so I assume it's an entry level. This is some a job I would love to do, so I'm here looking for some advice.
Does anyone know anything about this examination? I want to know if it's worth it for me because I would have to fly to do this. There are 5 topics on this exam:
Photography and Videography
Court Rules/Knowledge
Report Writing and Record Keeping
Criminalistics and Identification
Reading and Comprehension
The job listing shows this as requirements of the job:
Knowledge of methods, practices, and equipment associated with the collection, and processing of evidence.
Knowledge of current forensic photography techniques and the ability to use various types of photographic equipment.
Knowledge of legal and safety standards and precautions pertaining to the collection and processing of evidence.
So if anyone has any information as to what I can expect, or what I can learn, or where I can get any information from, please let me know. If I do make the trip there, I want to make it worthwhile and hope I have a shot at it.

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

Sooty
So, you'd really like to do the job BUT you don't know anything about the subject matter. I'll be honest, I doubt it's something you could cram for. There are some aspects of the training that are drilled into you until it's second nature.

I'll give you an example. On Dec 23rd, I was involved in a car crash. A woman crashed into me in her Mini Cooper (with reinforced rear bumpers) completely demolishing the front right side of my car. As soon as I checked she was okay (and trying to not get annoyed at her patronizing comment of "there is no need to get annoyed or upset" (she had done around £1400 of damage to a 2 year old car); my first thoughts was to "process the crime scene", and I immediately went round and processed both cars as it were; complete with photographs and sketches. Insurance people were quite bouncing about it, that I could give them a detailed report.

But that gives you an idea as it were. Just as in your degree of Biochemistry there are aspects that are drilled into you about basic procedures - it's the same thing.

You mentioned about the processing of evidence -an example is, say Footwear impressions. Name a popular core textbook on the processing of footwear evidence (Bodziak, 1999, Footwear Impression Evidence, 2nd Edition. Should have a red footprint on the cover; I believe the first edition is a blue footprint). Should you use plaster of paris for lifting a cast or name another substance to use... Should you use brown paper bags or plastic bags for evidence collection?

It's all of these pieces you learn - and I think you'd be wasting your cash without prior grounding in it (IMHO).

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

Syntonomy
Thanks for your reply.

When I say I don't know anything about it, I mean me directly doing the tasks.  I haven't plastered footprints or tire tracks, haven't lifted fingerprints etc.  What I know is basically reading forensics/crime scene books and the countless CSI episodes I've seen on TV.  Yes, real life is quite different from TV show, but still something I guess.

I think it would be those types of questions that may make me wonder.  The exam is 150 questions in 4 hours, so I doubt that they are long comprehensive questions.  That may or may not help me.  But considering that it's pretty much an entry level, and I meet the job posting requirements, I should have a chance at it?

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

Jay O.
First off, good luck to you.  I do not have relevant experience either, and I know that it has hurt me in my search.  I have a B.A. in Criminal Justice, with specialization in Criminalistics.  I have taken crime scene and forensics courses, and have done some practical exercises--fingerprint, impressions, blood spatter, etc.  I've been applying since 2008 and have yet to find something, and I've been looking everywhere (250+ applications).  I am not trying to discourage you by any means, so go for it!  Anyway, I've taken some tests for these types of positions, and although the position may seem as if no experience is necessary, I've run into questions that only the well-versed would know.  Above all else, I would suggest you review fingerprints and photography, including digital SLR, camera functions (f-stop, ISO, etc.)  Though I've taken MANY forensics courses, photography has played a very small role.  I've passed tests and gone to interviews, only for my inexperience to shine through.  I have spent more than $4000 traveling for interviews, tests, etc., because in this field it is necessary.  This field is very competetive, so you need to know your stuff.  Fingerprints (what type of processing method to use on various surfaces) and photography have been the two biggest topics in my past interviews, so I've made a point to brush up on those as much as possible.  I've taken tests that have nothing to do with crime scene--typing, data entry, math, etc.  However, the subsequent interview has been the traditional panel style where, lo and behold, they ask me about fingerprints and photography.  I'm one class away from an M.S. in Criminal Justice, with specialization in Forensic Science.  I'm doing an at-home certificate program in Forensics to supplement.  I read forensics and crime scene books on a daily basis, and I can't stress enough how important that is.  I'm sending in a background packet for a position that I have an interview for in a few weeks; I'll admit, I have applications down to a science.  It is my passion, and although I have a clean background, great GPA, good work history, and excellent references, it hasn't worked for me yet.  Again, I am not trying to discourage you; I am just telling you things that I wish I had been told in college.  Best of luck to you, and don't forget the fingerprints and photography.

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

Syntonomy
Thanks for your reply Jay.

With photography being the top of the job requirements and examining topic, I did figure it would be a big deal.  I've been photographing on my leisure time so I guess I should be "okay" but of course I can never stop learning.  I will definitely pay more attention to fingerprinting.

Do you have any other tips on what the exams are like? Short answer type? How about the other topics, like court law, report writing etc?  I can read about collecting evidence, how to take photos but I'm finding it hard to look for those topics.

I also haven't been having luck in my job search.  I just graduated not long ago, and I have searched long and hard for biochemistry related careers.  I have had very few replies, mainly cause I lack in experience.  I didn't have a good GPA so it's hard for me to go to a Masters without experience.  This was my first invitation in the crime scene field, something I've wanted to do since way before university.  I knew it would be a very tough field, so that's why I didn't get into criminal justice/forensics, but rather a more broader field.

I can assume these exams have at least 100 people taking it at once? Even with that, odds are still very small.  And yet I do have to fly quite a distance.  If I had a good shot at it, I would have no problems, but considering my situation, just not sure what the "wise" choice is.

Anyways, thanks for everything.  And good luck on your search.

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

Jay O.
Well, you may be surprised at the number of individuals testing.  I tested in Miami; there were 30 and they took the top 3 to interview.  I was #3.  I tested in TN, and there were over 2,000 (!) applicants; this was for hwy patrol.  They took 70 or so.  I wasn't one of them.  I had a phone interview for an agency in TX.  They required no experience; they were going to put the individual through training and education.  There were 35 applicants for that one.  It all depends on the agency, location, etc.

As far as tests go, most of the ones I've taken for forensics-related positions (evidence tech, crime scene investigator) have been general aptitude: logical reasoning, reading, mathematics, etc.  The one in Miami was crime scene specific.  I passed the test, but I failed the interview terribly.  If this test has as many questions as you mentioned, I would guess that it is general knowledge, to which you should be fine.

Let me know if you get to the interview phase.  I am no expert by any means, but I can certainly provide you with information on what NOT to do. :)

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

Syntonomy
Okay so I see the number can range quite a bit.  If there were 30 people taking exams, that's much lower than I woulda thought.  But 2000...scary haha.  They did tell me it's in 5 sections with about 150 questions, so if they are reasonably general knowledge, I think I should be fine in that regard.  It's if they ask the details of processing methods or specifics on collecting evidence or court laws that I might have some difficulties.  Considering this is my first opportunity, I might regret if I didn't "try" it.  Maybe I can at least get a feel for how these things go.  In their email they said they will give a pass/fail and then contact me for an Oral Board, which is the actual interview? If I get there, I'll be sure to dig this thread up.  I'll need every bit of help I can :)
Thank you so much

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

Mayra
I been reading your Post and your talking about that I want information on.

I am currently in california. I get my bachemors next week in Ciriminal Justice. I hava already an Associats in Math (I use to tutor) and Another Associates in Science (Chemistry being the minor), I have a guard card, I have a fire arms license, I speak 3 langauges, I have no criminal record and ready to work. I dont want to do a sworn job. I wan tto pick evidence scene and analye in the lab. I do want to start taking a few classes at night (Even online in some course) while I work to get me more education Plus help with defering the student loan.

I plan to leave to miami in less than 2 weeks. Is a big move and I am going to do it. Leave my house here. pack up my car...brother will drive with me and he will drive back with someone else in their car. But its time to get out of californai and try something  new. I love Miami. I was there last year and got back in january.

Please anyone have any for mation to help me. My name is  Mayra and I am will ing to give you my number if you are serious and can help me. 760 686 9830

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

crimefighter
You will be analysing crime scenes for evidence, testing hair and bodily fluids for DNA, take pictures of the scene, interview witnesses, help police officers and analyse weapons as part of your overall series of duties.
Crime scene technician make anywhere from $40,000 - $50,000 annually, depending on a whole host of factors such as location, place of employment, experience and education. To be well prepared for the challenge ahead, research the various forensic science programs and requirements to know what is expected of you in this career.
CT

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

CT
Your first step should be learning to write with proper English grammar.

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

NOTHING
I AM LOOKING FOR A JOB INTERVEW AND NOBODY CAN GIVE ME THAT SO IF YOU WANT TO GIVE ADIVICE THEN GIVE ME ADICE FOR THAT

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

NOTHING
I AM LOOKING FOR A JOB INTERVEW AND NOBODY CAN GIVE ME THAT SO IF YOU WANT TO GIVE ADIVICE THEN GIVE ME ADIVCE FOR THAT OK WE DONT CARE ABOUT UR SPEACH

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

Guilford42
I am sure you got necessary tips here. You know I too am going to take LSAT and would like to know about the best Online LSAT Prep course. It is a difficult test so I just want to make sure that my preparations are up to the mark to pass the test. Please provide suggestions.

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

ethanwilliamew
We are a professional team of Essay Help Uk that carry vast experience in writing top-notch quality essay papers for students worldwide. Our systematic procedures and writing expertise are second to none; promising students to help them earn top essay grades in no time. Our writing services are bound to offer you ease and complete peace of mind.

Re: I need to take an examination for "Crime Scene Technician", any hints or tips?

Megan
Can you help me with the same..what not to do?