I was wondering is it mandatory to serve a year on the police force in the field to become a csi?

Posted by tiffiany tiffiany
I was just wondering, because i would really like to become a csi, but for personal reasons can not serve on the actual police force and someone told me you have to serve at least a year in the field I was wondering if there are any jobs where that would not be required

Wilson CSI Wilson CSI

Re: I was wondering is it mandatory to serve a year on the police force in the field to become a csi?

Depends on which path you want to take cn becoming a CSI.  Some agencies you have to sworn.  In these agencies you have to work your way up to CSI.  It can take a year, 2 years, 5 years depending how long it takes for an opening to come open in that unit.

Then there is the civilian path.  In this path you can go straight to a CSI role without serving time on the streets.  But this path can be just as hard or harder.  There is a growing number of civilian CSIs in the US.  But they are still few and far between.  And the competition for the open jobs is huge.  Our unit is civilian and the last opening we had there were hundreds of applicants.

Hope that helps.
Sara Staggs Sara Staggs

Re: I was wondering is it mandatory to serve a year on the police force in the field to become a csi?

It depends on what agency you would like to work for.  Most places do not require you to be a sworn officer to work in CSI.  But check with the individual agencies to see what they require.

Here is a link with some more information for you: http://crime-scene-investigator.net/becomeone.html