ITT Tech, Proper Accreditation? Are A.A.S's applicable to the CSI Field?

ITT Tech, Proper Accreditation? Are A.A.S's applicable to the CSI Field?

Anon E. Mouse
I have recently attended ITT Technical Institute for a Criminology & Forensic Technology until I left after one semester after stumbling across a shocking revelation. Being withheld from me after being rushed through my enrollment process by a college recruiter was the fact that the credits were not transferable. But the main catalyst for me wanting to leave ITT was the fact that I've discovered that most, if not entirely all positions in the field of Forensics require a degree involving Natural Sciences, and in a good amount of cases, a Bachelor's Degree at the least. But ITT Tech does not offer a Bachelor's Degree program for Criminology & Forensic Technology nor do they even go into the Natural Sciences of Physics, Biology, and Chemistry in detail, just as an overview. And for this, ITT hands out an Associate's in Applied Science degree, not an Associate's in Natural Science degree that many positions require. Not to mention all of this was taken online by myself so how would I have received the proper lab training? Are A.A.S's applicable to the Forensics field?

If those who end up graduating from the program search for a job they will undoubtedly not be called back as their degree is nearly worthless considering the program and the degree don't pertain to the Natural Sciences. And to those who graduate who look to transfer into a Bachelor's or Master's program at another college, they will be forced to start their college education all over again as I have checked with various colleges that deal in Forensics across the country, all telling me that degrees from ITT Tech WILL NOT TRANSFER.

I live in Illinois and a landmark lawsuit was just brought up by our Attorney General against Westwood College, a similar-style of college over the same complaints that I have just presented to you. The cases of those who've been wronged by Westwood and have not been able to find jobs due to various police departments and law enforcement agencies shooting them down due to "improper accreditation" makes me wonder. Does ITT Educational Services have the proper accreditation to teach prospective Forensic Technicians? And do law enforcement agencies look past resumes from schools that feature National Accreditation?

The details of the cases between Westwood and ITT Tech are eerily similar, shady practices during enrollment and class selection (I was told I could select classes for my schedule, turns out that was false.) I have spoken with someone in the legal field and have been told that something definitely smells fishy with ITT and their program, if you are or know someone at ITT Technical Institute for Criminal Justice (in this case Criminology & Forensic Technology) warn them to inform their Attorney General of a Fraudulent & Deceptive Business Practice.

Re: ITT Tech, Proper Accreditation? Are A.A.S's applicable to the CSI Field?

Anon—

I don't know anything about the ITT Technical Institute for a Criminology & Forensic Technology, but I have a few observations and answers to your questions.

You should always read everything about the programs you consider. Even traditional community colleges have courses with non transferable credits. It is not a big deal if all you want/need is that program at that school. If there is a remote chance you might choose to progress into another program then you should take courses and programs with transferable credits.

YES, AAS programs can be valuable in the forensic field. In fact, I teach in a CSI Certificate program at the University of California. The program awards only a certificate—not even a AA or AS degree. Many of the students who successfully completed the program have been hired as Crime Scene Investigators, Forensic Technicians, etc. The certificate helped them get their jobs.

The bottom line is this: Each employing agency sets its own requirements. Some require only a High School diploma or GED, others require some college education, a few require as much as a degree in biology. It is up to them. If you want to work for a certain department then find out what they require and do what you have to meet those requirements. If all they require is a CSI Certificate, then get one. If they require a BS in Biology, then get one. If they require two years of CSI experience, then get hired at another agency that does not require experience and apply to the other agency two years later.

If you look at some of the employment listings on this website, you will find most CSI and forensic jobs that do not require an Associate's in Natural Science degree. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing one that did. And we have posted hundreds of job openings over the years. But there have been many that required an Associate's degree in CSI or Forensics.

Re: ITT Tech, Proper Accreditation? Are A.A.S's applicable to the CSI Field?

Anon E. Mouse
I understand, but the recruiters at ITT says that with this degree you can get a job anywhere. I just feel like they put a bag over my head to drag me in when I could have went to a college with a lower tuition rate with higher quality education, there have been many people in the Criminal Justice field who have previously attended ITT that said employers practically told them their degree was worthless due to the lack of accreditation ITT Technical Institute has. Not to mention the educators employed by ITT seem to have a very basic (if any) knowledge of their subject and seem to be teaching just exactly what the book says.

That's what worries about me spending three months of my time at ITT Tech, it's nice to know that A.A.S's apply to the Forensics field, it's just the way ITT Tech teaches the material seems to leave their current and potential students with a very poor grasp on Forensics.

Re: ITT Tech, Proper Accreditation? Are A.A.S's applicable to the CSI Field?

unsatisfied
I graduated from ITT with an AS in Computer Networking Systems. I have found a job above average for the current economy.

Now that I am trying to further my education I am stuck. ITT is NOT regionally accredited. This means that your credits do not transfer to ANY other school. So for me to go beyond I have to start over. I guess its a good time to change my major....

So my personal opinion is to avoid going to ITT. This will greatly limit your education choices and some employers do not recognize degrees obtained from schools without regional accreditation.

Re: ITT Tech, Proper Accreditation? Are A.A.S's applicable to the CSI Field?

Cassandra
I go to ITT and I take information on Criminology and Forensic Technology. I have been doing great in all my classes and I do not agree with everything you are saying. If you was to finish you would have found out that they help you find a job that is with in your rang. You can go back for a higher degree there if you would like. Two year degrees are normally only the basic things that you need, though; if you want something that is more advanced to give you a more job rang go back for a higher degree. I am only 17 and I may not be the one to ask for the answers all the time. Though; I think ITT has done an amazing job an providing me an education that I need to become a successful worker. Even in the work force you will be faced with things that you was never taughted in High School or College. It's called adapting to your environment around you.

Re: ITT Tech, Proper Accreditation? Are A.A.S's applicable to the CSI Field?

Whitley
You will be "taughted" ??? not a word, dear.

Your response alone shows that you didn't do your research before signing up to be scammed by this degree mill. You will have an enormous debt that you won't be able to afford to pay off because your "degree" with be worthless. Non-accredited, not recognized, non-transferable, and nobody will hire you in your "field"

You also really need to take some English courses again, that you won't find at this degree mill trade school.