International Positions

anthony88

I am from Britain and currently studying for a degree in forensic science. In May 2009 I will have completed my degree and in July 2010 we intend to move to the USA. If you can, could you tell me a little about the jobs available to internationals and if you have any knowledge of the immigration side of things could you share a little about the process of actually gaining a job in the USA.

Re: International Positions

MikeC
Hello Anthony, I recently applied for a CSI post with an agency in California.
As a serving CSI in the UK my experience and qualifications got me to Interview and assessment stage, and I placed at number 7 in the eligibility list out of close to 500 applicants.
This shows it's entirely possible to apply for jobs, although I believe Experience was the key for me even having a fighting chance.
The sad truth is that the American unemployment rate is at its highest for 16 years and employers are obliged by employment law to ensure an American citizen is employed first before offering the post to any other suitable candidate.
The agency were prepared to take me on (and still may) under a working visa as it was a non-sworn CSI position, this would allow me good time to apply for full citizenship.
I will still be applying for positions in the US & Canada in the future as I too wish to emigrate one day.

Good luck.
Crime Scene Investigator
(RFP) Registered Forensic Practitioner
United Kingdom

Thank you, if your back on.... do you think its easier to get into usa or canada?
Thanks alot!

Re: International Positions

MikeC
Firstly any CSI post advertised is going to generate a huge amount of interest, it's very important to make yourself stand out from the sea of applications and CV's.
I believe from an Immigration point of view Canada is more receptive to take British Citizens in.
I have heard rumblings from Harperly Hall (the UK CSI training school) that some Canadian territories are possibly going to be advertising for UK CSI's in the not too distant future, for some years they have had a huge UK recruitment drive for police officers so this could happen.
The other place where Civilianisation may bring a flood of CSI jobs is Australia, again in recent years they have targeted British police officers due to our similarities in the justice system.

Mike

Crime Scene Investigator
(RFP) Registered Forensic Practitioner
United Kingdom

Re: International Positions

littlenicky04
I am new here and I have to say thankyou Anthony for asking that question, I have wanted to work in the US doing the work of a CSI or thing that deal with analysing evidence in some way, but my plan was to work in the UK first to gain experience, I suppose it is a bit silly, planning ahead because the degree that I am doing isn't going to be finished untill around 2012/13 I can't remember which. I have always wondered if I was able to get a job in the US with a degree done in the UK. I have the answer now, I feel it is necassery to get the experience like I planed. And also thankyou Mike, for delivering the relevant information.