International Students

Beth
Hi all, I live in New Zealand and am very interested in this industry.  There is nothing in NZ for those who are not sworn officers and so I am seriously looking abroad.  I have worked for the NZ Police off and on for 12 years in multiple roles.  I am wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions as to where I should look  for education in the US.  Are there any Colleges that are taking international students??  I am a hands on learner so studying online doesn't work for me the best.
Any thoughts??

Re: International Students

Shannon Marie
Check here: http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/csi-training.html

There are many places to get education, I advise looking into online training.
GL and see below:

Crime Scene Investigation (online programs)

    * Crime Scene Investigation, Kaplan University
    * Crime Scene Investigation, South University

Forensic Science (online programs)

    * Forensic Science, American InterContinental University Online Forensic Science, American InterContinental University Online-->
    * Forensics, Ashford University
    * Financial Forensics, Colorado Technical University
    * Masters in Forensic Science, National University

Criminal Investigations (online programs)

    * Criminal Investigations, Everest University Online
    * Investigation/Law Enforcement, Rasmussen College
    * Economic Crime Investigation, Utica College
    * Executive Masters in Economic Crime Management, Utica College
    * MBA in Fraud Management, Utica College
    * Master of Science - Crime Analysis, Tiffin University

Computer Forensics and Cyber Crime (online programs)

    * Information Systems Security, University of Phoenix
    * Computer Forensics, ITT Technical Institute
    * Computer Crime, Kaplan University
    * Computer Forensics, American InterContinental University Online
    * Criminal Justice - Cyber Security, ITT Technical Institute
    * Computer Security and Forensics, Strayer University
    * Homeland Security Technology, Strayer University
    * Technology - Security and Forensics, Walden University
    * Computer Information Systems and Security, Walden University
    * Information Technology - Security, Colorado Technical University
    * Cyber Crime, South University
    * Cybersecurity - Cybercrime Investigation and Forensics, Utica College
    * Cybersecurity - Information Assurance, Utica College
    * Cybersecurity - Computer Forensics, Utica College
    * Cybersecurity - Intelligence, Utica College
    * Cybersecurity, Virginia College Online

Forensic Psychology (online programs)

    * Forensic Psychology, Kaplan University
    * Psychology - Criminal Justice, Walden University
    * Criminal Behavior, Western International University
    * Behavior Analysis, Saint Joseph's University
    * MS in Psychology - Terrorism and Security, Walden University
    * MS and PhD in Psychology - Criminology and Justice Studies, University of the Rockies
    * Master of Science - Criminal Behavior, Tiffin University
    * Psychology, University of Phoenix

Forensic Nursing (online programs)

    * Forensic Nursing, Kaplan University

Criminal Justice (online programs)          Click here for campus based college or university programs.

    * Criminal Justice, American InterContinental University Online
    * Master's in Public Administration - Justice Administration, Anna Maria College
    * Master's in Emergency Management, Anna Maria College
    * Criminal Justice, Argosy University
    * Social Science - Criminal Justice, Ashford University
    * Organizational Management - Criminal Justice, Ashford University
    * Criminal Justice, Berkley College
    * Master's in Criminal Justice, Boston University
    * Master of Science in Criminal Justice, Bowling Green State University
    * Criminal Justice, Brown College
    * Criminal Justice, Capella University
    * Emergency Management, Capella University
    * Master of Science - Criminal Justice, Capella University
    * Master of Science - Public Safety Leadership, Capella University
    * Master of Science - Emergency Management, Capella University
    * Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) - Criminal Justice, Capella University
    * Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) - Public Safety Leadership, Capella University
    * Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) - Emergency Management, Capella University
    * Criminal Justice, Colorado Technical University Online
    * Technical Management - Criminal Justice, DeVry University
    * Criminal Justice, Eagle Gate College
    * Criminal Justice, Everest University Online
    * Criminal Justice, Grand Canyon University
    * Criminal Justice, Harrison College
    * Criminal Justice, Hodges University
    * Criminal Justice, Indiana Wesleyan University
    * Criminal Justice, ITT Technical Institute
    * Criminal Justice, Ivy Bridge College
    * Criminal Justice, Kaplan University
    * Criminal Justice, Kaplan University
    * Criminal Justice, Keiser University
    * Criminal Justice, Liberty University
    * Criminal Justice, Miller-Motte College
    * Criminal Justice Administration, National University
    * Master's and PhD in Criminal Justice, Northcentral University
    * Master of Public Policy & Administration, Northwestern University
    * Criminology and Criminal Justice, Portland State University
    * Criminal Justice, Rasmussen College
    * Criminal Justice, Saint Joseph's University
    * Criminal Justice, Santa Barbara Business College
    * Criminal Justice, South University
    * Criminal Justice, Strayer University
    * Criminal Justice, Strayer University
    * Criminal Justice, Tiffin University
    * MS in Crime Analysis, Criminal Behavior or Justice Administration, Tiffin University
    * Master's in Criminal Justice, University of Cincinnati
    * Criminal Justice, University of Phoenix
    * MS and PhD in Psychology - Criminology and Justice Studies, University of the Rockies
    * Criminal Justice, Virginia College
    * Criminal Justice, Walden University
    * PhD Human Services - Criminal Justice, Walden University
    * PhD Policy and Administration - Criminal Justice, Walden University

Homeland Security (online programs)      Click here for campus based college or university programs.

    * Homeland Security, Everest University
    * Homeland Security, Keiser University
    * Homeland Security, Rasmussen College
    * Homeland Security, Kaplan University
    * Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Strayer University
    * Homeland Security Technology, Strayer University
    * Public Safety - Homeland Security, Capella University
    * Criminal Justice - Homeland Security, Walden University
    * Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Colorado Technical University
    * Homeland Security, Virginia College Online
    * Homeland Security, Ashford University
    * Homeland Security, South University
    * MS in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security, Saint Joseph's University
    * MS in Criminal Justice Admin - Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Utica College
    * PhD Policy and Administration - Homeland Security Policy, Walden University
    * Master's and PhD in Homeland Security, Northcentral University
    * Master of Science in Management - Homeland Security, Colorado Technical University Online

Re: International Students

Beth
Hi Shannon,
Thank you this was incredibly helpful.  My husband and I are seriously thinking about relocating to the US as this type of work is for sworn staff only in NZ.  If we do decide to make the move, would you still recommend the online courses??

Re: International Students

Shannon Marie
Hi Beth,
Only if they will help you advance there. There are few jobs here anyways. i really would start my own company there if I were you. The whole CSI TV junk is so unrealistic anyways. I think people think this is a standard, and not some annoying show that does little more then take actors and give them a script,.. does some of the things happen,.. are some accurate? Not many, and not much. The problem now is the same thing I seen happen back in the 70s where 101 Datamations came out.
Cute show, problem is it cause tons of dog factories, then over stimi for the shelters. This is due to so much media hype. If I were you, I'd get a degree in the medical field, or as mentioned start my own bossiness. I wouldn't waste my time or energy where there is little to no opportunity for the average Joe, especially if your not an American. But if the field is one your interested in continue the education process.
Best of luck
Shannon Marie

Re: International Students

Beth
Hi Shannon,

Thank you for this.  You have been really helpful.  I agree with the
whole tv hype thing.  I totally didn't become interested in this field
through tv thank god.  In NZ you have to break through into the
science field which is monopolised by ESR (Environmental Science and
Research - government owned) and if you aren't one of theirs then you
can't get in.  I have made enquiries with Kaplan and they are being
very helpful.  I am approaching my employer in the fond hope that they
will help pay for my studies.  The buggar of it is that once I have
finished my studies I will be way over qualified for any jobs here BUT
what I will do is push for more and more CSI to be done within the
organisation as opposed to sending out to ESR - those results can take
months for a response due to heavy workload and limited resources and
the simple fact that ESR do everyone's research.
My day to day job is taking complaints over the phone from victim's of
volume crime (burglaries, theft ex car, general thefts, shoplifting
etc).  I find it so frustrating that due to lack of resources and
funding these are often left on the backburner and filed with no
action.  The sad part is those that offend in volume crime then move
onto bigger and brighter things.  It would be great to be in a
position to at least attempt to catch the buggars early instead of
pouring huge resources into reactive policing when these idiots commit
serious crime.  It's amazing to see in this little country that when
something serious happens the staff get pulled from their day to day
work to focus on the serious stuff which then has the flow on effect
that smaller crimes get ignored.  I can imagine that it is like this
everywhere but our country of 4.3 million people shouldn't be that out
of control.
Thank you once again,
Beth

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Shannon Marie [via Crime Scene