Interning?

Anthony
I would like to prompt an interesting question that I would like to receive some clarity on. I have a Bachelor degree in Criminal Justice and with a double minor in Anthropology/Sociology; I would like to work as a Crime Scene Investigator, but do not have any hands-on experience necessary for doing such. Could someone please inform me is there a way of overcoming this particular "lack", by interning at a local police department or discovering another source?

Re: Interning?

Laurie
Without any formal training, I think it's going to be very hard for you to get your foot in the door.  Generally interns are procured through a forensic educational program, rather than "off the street".  As recently as ten years ago, you probably could have gotten a CSI job without a formal degree, but now you are up against people with degrees specifically in forensics, most of which are very heavy on the CSI training.  Your criminal justice degree is more tailored towards law enforcement rather than science.

Do you know anyone currently in the field?  The forensic community is a comparatively tight-knit group, so you may need a hand getting in anywhere.  Sorry if this response seems negative, but the hard truth is you may need to further your education to get into the field.