Interview a Crime Scene Investigator

Beth S.
My name is Beth Sutinis and I'm a children's book author and editor working on a nonfiction book for kids as part of a series called Scientists in Action.

I am hoping to talk to a crime scene/law enforcement professional about a real-life case as part of the book I'm writing. Our aim is to help kids interested in science subjects find out more about exciting careers. The first part of the book will show a crime scene tech working at a real crime scene to collect evidence, and then how that evidence helped the investigation or even contributed to solving a crime. Since this is a book for younger children (ages 8 and up) I need to story to tell which involves a robbery, theft, or other property crime--something nonviolent.

If someone on this forum would be willing to speak to me about their work, I would really appreciate it. Kids are so interested in forensics work, so I'd really like to get it right by hearing from a professional in the field about a real-life case. Thank you in advance.

Re: Interview a Crime Scene Investigator

Tina
First off consider that a robbery is the taking of property by force from someone so that is violent in and of itself. As to talking to a law enforcement professional why haven't you just gone to your local law enforcement agency for a face to face interview. I do not believe any valid law enforcement officer would ever do a phone interview without being able to validate who is on the other end! Advice which you can take or leave. I never give phone interviews unless I am the one calling!