Is a carrer as a CSI hard on a marriage/family life?

Is a carrer as a CSI hard on a marriage/family life?

PatchesDucky
Working in forensics or as a crime scene investigator would be a dream job. I can't think of a career path that would better suit me, however recently I have been looking closer into turning the possibility into a reality and gathering info as to course work to take to make this possible, reading necessary qualifications on job listings, and career requirements. My spouse is concerned that the on-call aspect of the job would eventually cause a rift. I am concerned about actual job availability in the field and relocation as a necessity, hopefully not a comstant one (Neither of us would mind leaving this town). We have one child each and are expecting another together, so naturally my family comes first. I would like opinions/experiences from those experienced in the field on the difficulties presented in a career of this type or with an on-call job in general. Would I really not be home much, or is this a misconstrued idea presented in television shows? Doctors are on call and many seem to have healthy, happy family lives, no? Any advice, opinions are greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Re: Is a carrer as a CSI hard on a marriage/family life?

Wilson CSI
It depends on what agency you are working for.  Larger agencies generally run shift work for scene personnel.  Mid size to smaller agencies work on call rotations depending on how many people are in your unit.   We have three people in our unit for a mid size city.  We work every third week on call for call outs after hours (during the night).  We can go from not getting a call out all week long to getting called everynight during the week.  During the on call weeks we have one hour to be on scene.  So if you are out and about you have to drop what ever you are doing and get changed get your equipment and be on scene.  On call will happen over holidays too.  I have missed birthdays, thanksgivings, Christmas', anniversaries, and about every other holiday during my career.  It isn't easy on the home life.  Your spouse and kids need to be very supportive of you in this position.

Now I am not saying it is horrible for home life.  Just have to be understanding of your schedule.  And bad things don't happen all the time.  If you have a unit that works closely with each other like we have, we are always willing to help cover on call for someone in our unit so they can attend special events.  But like I said before your spouse will need to be understanding and supportive of you doing this.