Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions,
ELLE

Hotwired Hotwired

Re: Is it required for CSI's to travel?

(United Kingdom CSI Officer)

I am part of a department with ten staff covering a mainly urban population. Average mileage per day, 40 miles. My colleages on another division cover a mostly rural area and travel an average of 100 miles (or a little under).

I would imagine that travelling is dependant on the area covered by a CSI Office and the number of crime scenes being examined each day.

My division icovers an area approximately 15 miles x 10 miles, although 95 percent of my crime scenes are in a 5 mile x 5 mile area - the city (population approximately 200 000 persons).

I spend about five or six hours on crime scenes per day (four or five small scenes, larger ones can take two days plus) and three or four hours in the office (paperwork, recovered property exhibits).

I used to be a forensic scientist - mostly laboratory based, and spent 8 hours a day in the laboratory with maybe one day a month (or less) spent attending crime scenes (that was not my main task). I would estimate that a UK Forensic Scientist who attends crime scenes (we (CSI) would call one out for discharged firearm cases, blood stain analysis and fire scenes where there has been loss of life or very high value damage) spends about 80 to 90 percent of their time in the laboratory and a few days a month attending major crime scenes.

I do not know about US forensic scientists or CSI officers.
Hotwired Hotwired

Re: Is it required for CSI's to travel?

The crime scene in my avatar picture was a murder and I spent about 24 hours  in total working on it - photograhing the scene, recovering exhibits and processing the exhibits for sending to a forensic laboratory etc.

There were two other CSI at the scene, one assisting me and one recording and recovering exhibts from another area and one CSI at the mortuary.
Eljohnson Eljohnson

Re: Is it required for CSI's to travel?

Thank you so much for the informtion re: travel and lab time. I am looking into this field and appreciate all information I can get to better understand what my day would consist of....thanks again, El
Shannon Marie Shannon Marie

Hotwired

Hotwired,
Your avatar does not show a picture. This post was from a year ago, perhaps you have moved on.
Shannon Marie
Shannon Marie Shannon Marie

Re: Is it required for CSI's to travel?

PS If you are on msg me sometime, I'm interested in speaking with you further.
Shannon Marie