Is it too late for me to get into forensics?

Is it too late for me to get into forensics?

Agoron56
First, I'm sorry if this question has been asked a bunch of times.

I'm currently looking to do a major career change and for the first time I feel like I found something I can do that interests me. I started to show an interest in forensics and crime scene investigation only after going to college and getting a job so I wasn't even thinking about going back to school for something else at the time. Now I wish I had as I feel like I wasted many years of my life.  I'm 31 now and looking to get out of what I'm doing as I chose doing it for all the wrong reasons.  I have absolutely no background or experience in forensics and would basically have to start all over but I'm worried that it is too late. If anyone is familiar with this and can offer any advice that would be great.  Basically, is it too late for me?

Re: Is it too late for me to get into forensics?

Elizabeth
It's never too late to do what you love, but keep this in mind:
it is very hard to get in the door.

Having already had a job, you have a leg up from me. You probably have savings to fall back on and somewhere to continue working at until you get the new job. I had just finished college, had never had a job before and was looking for 9 months for a CSI job before I got one. I applied to EVERY local store for a full time position while waiting but never got one. If you want to go back to school, do it, just don't quit your job until you have another one. I know I'm a lot younger than you, and you probably don't want life advice from me, but it's hard to get started in this career, even with the education. Keep the job you have until you know 100% you have a new one.

Re: Is it too late for me to get into forensics?

Agoron56
Thank you, I absolutely appreciate the advice.  You are right, I do have some money saved and I'll be able to have a job while I do any schooling and job searching so I am kinda lucky when it comes to that.  You also bring up what I was going to start looking into next which would be the demand for the job where I'm going to be moving to.  I'm going to be moving to the city of Plattsburgh in upstate NY.  Plattsburgh is a pretty big city and its also a short ferry ride to Burlington Vermont where I could also try to find a job.  I'm just not sure how to research the job demand in those cities to make sure.  Thanks again for the advice.

Re: Is it too late for me to get into forensics?

Elizabeth
Demand for the job is the toughest part about getting in, along with experience. I lived in Rockland County NY, about 20 minutes north-west of NYC, went to school in St. Lawrence County NY, and I moved halfway across the country (a 23 hour drive) because it was the only one in the entire country willing to hire me. Just be prepared that Plattsburgh, while a large city for upstate NY, and even Burlington, again large, may not have the demand for civilian CSI techs. I don't want to discourage you from doing this if it's what you want to do, I just want to prepare you and let you know that it's not as easy as you may think.

Re: Is it too late for me to get into forensics?

joseph958rauch
Hello Elizabeth, that was great advice, for someone that want a career in the field. Actually it's never too late. Feedback to those wanting to go into the field, I suggest if you want the door of opportunity, speak up to different people. I went to several court cases, that allowed me to get a feeling for criminal cases, or cases gone to court. It gave me insight to different cases. If you have an instructor in the criminal justice system, talk to them and especially if you have a lead investigator, then a good chance, go on Ride-a-longs with police departments. By the way if your going to court cases dress up appropriately a dress for women, or suits for men.

Re: Is it too late for me to get into forensics?

joseph958rauch
Hello Agoron56, don't give up, you never know until you try. Go for it.

Re: Is it too late for me to get into forensics?

Agoron56—

No. I know people who started in forensics and crime scene investigations in their 40's and 50's. 31 is not too old.

Agoron56 wrote
I'm 31 now ... but I'm worried that it is too late. ... is it too late for me?

Re: Is it too late for me to get into forensics?

joseph958rauch
Actually I'm 49, your in good timing I believe. At any rate go for the goal. By the way what led you to make such a decision?

Re: Is it too late for me to get into forensics?

4NSICTEK
I was able to get into this career as a "second" career after retiring from the Navy back in 2005.  I was working on my Criminal Justice Degree when I had a motorcycle accident.  Long story short.  I wanted to be a LEO but was offered a chance to become a Forensic Crime Scene Technician and have loved every day of it since January 2006.  I was able to get in and the Police Department has sent me to numerous schools since then.  I would suggest checking with your local PD and see if they ahve a ride-a-long program and start networking with any of the personnel.  The career filed is forever changing with regard to the technology involved.  Best of luck to you....
"4NSICTEK"

Re: Is it too late for me to get into forensics?

byanke
you'll need experience....I have been applying for jobs for over 2 yrs.  Have the degree...but everyone wants experience....
Good luck to you!