5. Sheffield Hallam (MSc Forensic Science)

Please give me any information as detailed as you can. Thanks a lot!

Hotwired Hotwired

Re: Is there any CSI from UK?

This post was updated on .
Teeside has a large forensic department and very competent staff. I cannot add anything to their prospectus...

http://www.tees.ac.uk/postgraduate_courses/Crime_Scene_&_Forensic_Science/MSc_Forensic_Science.cfm

(PDF) http://www.tees.ac.uk/prospectus/pg/pg_course_PDF.cfm?coursetitle=MSc%20Forensic%20Science

I have a colleague who took the Kings College LondonMSc many years ago - they were one of the first universities to offer a MSc in this subject (along with Strathclyde University), so I imagine they have a lot of experience to pass on.

http://www.strath.ac.uk/science/pgcourses/forensicscience/

I will have a word with my colleague tomorrow and see if he will post something for you.

I do not know about the other colleges.

During my 28 years in forensics I have encountered a few graduates - all from Strathclyde - all appear to have been given a solid grounding in forensics that has assisted them in their careers.

(Edit: got the Strathclyde and Kings College the wrong way around)
Hotwired Hotwired

Re: Is there any CSI from UK?

Both Kings College, London, and Strathclyde University have been offering the Forensic Science MSc for thirty years plus, so may have more cudos within the criminal justice fraternity.

The other colleges you mention have been offering these courses for under ten years, and possibly for under five years.

Kings College, London
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/graduate/forensic_science
Sun Sun

Re: Is there any CSI from UK?

Thanks, Hotwired, I truely appreciate your help. :)
KCL is too expensive, so it seems Teesside and Strathclyde is the best choice. Do you have any colleagues graduated from teesside? By the way, do you work for Forensic Science Service?

--Sun

Hotwired Hotwired

Re: Is there any CSI from UK?

I visited Teeside University a few years back, their department is nice and new.

I worked for the FSS for a period of thirteen years, but have been a CSI for a constabulary for the past fifteen years or so.

Strathclyde has operational scientists working for the Scottish police forces that also lecture, not sure about Teeside.

I introduced myself some months back here...
http://n2.nabble.com/Welcome-to-the-Crime-Scene-Investigator-Network-Forum-tp1487255p2518853.html
Sun Sun

Re: Is there any CSI from UK?

I have already applied for Teesside and Strathclyde, and strath rejected but teesside offered me a place to study. Unfortunately teesside told me yesterday that their MSc Forensic Science course is not available now, so I think there might not be enough students in studying FS in postgraduate level. Fortunately, they offer me another course instead, which is Digital Forensics, so what should I do now? take this course? Or choose the other universities´╝č

I have no idea about digital forensics, does it have good career prospection in UK? If I study in this field, could it be possible I can still become a CSI in someday?  I am really confused, could you please give me some advice?