Kaplan Online University Respected?

Stephanie
I am currently interested in becoming a CSI. There are no schools here in California that I can reach to to get my B.A in Science of Criminal Justice, so I found Kaplan, which offers a HUGE curriculum but it's online. I was wondering if I did attend this school via the computer, and graduated with my B.A in CSI - does that mean that without that HANDS ON spectrum that I will be frowned upon when looking for a job in the field? I mean, I can understand absorbing the information, but when you're spit out there in the work field and have never touched anything, does that information you've obtained truly guide you into the right direction when you're truly out there?

Is Kaplan University respected enough to earn a BA from and still be able to have just as good of a chance as anyone else to get a CSI job?

Re: Kaplan Online University Respected?

Victoria
Most police agencies require you have patrol experience before they let you be a CSI anyway.  I attend Kaplan university and you are not robbed of your schooling.  Any classes that require labs, you are sent videos and the tools to complete them at home.  You might want to start searching the police agencies you are wanting to work with and find out their requirements for being a CSI.  In Seattle you have to be an officer for four years before you can become a CSI, the same with Denver.  Miami Dade county requires you be an officer for a year, which so far has been the best option for me.  Boston PD wont let anyone over 24 become a police officer.  Any police departments who's CSI's are civilian mostly require you have a bachelors degree and 2-4 years on the job experience.

Re: Kaplan Online University Respected?

Jester
I do not know where you got your info about the City of Denver but your dead wrong. Also if you check any out lying cities of Denver that also proves your info wrong.  None of those department require you to be a police officer before you can work in the Crime lab.

Re: Kaplan Online University Respected?

Victoria
I have to disagree with you.  If you go onto the police departments web site and search info on becoming a crime scene investigator, they tell you that you have to be a police officer for a minimum of 4 years.  I have done my research and am not wrong on this matter.  Just asking people who live in the area is not a reputable way to find information regarding these matters.  I have called the police departments of many cities and also visited the websites of many police departments.  Its fine if you disagree with me, but make sure you get your information for a reputable source and not the word on the street.

And I said nothing about having to do this to work in the crime lab, we are talking about being a CSI.  That is a very different area of work.  The crime lab is where chemist and other forensic scientist work, not the CSI's.  If you don't know what your talking about please don't post.  It makes you look uneducated.

Re: Kaplan Online University Respected?

Jester
You may have "called" the dept, but I have been through the process and work for the city.  As far as calling someone out, you might want to watch the hand that feeds you.  Ten seconds of reading the numerous city websites about the job requirements of a CSI, you can clearly see what they want in an agent.  Yes a crime lab and CSI are different jobs.   But every time I clock in, its at a crime lab.

I guess as your claim of where I got my information, its sad you have to make up an excuse to make your self look better.

Re: Kaplan Online University Respected?

Victoria
So I guess your telling me that the web site for your department and the people that work in HR that I talked to are wrong or are lying?  If thats the case then I wouldn't want to work there anyway.  It seems your confused as to what division you work for.  You keep going back and forth on this.  Are you a CSI or do you work in the crime lab?  And how long ago did you go through the training?  They might have changed their requirements since you did your training.  And I don't have to make myself look better.  Last time I looked I had a 4.0 GPA in school.  I am almost done with my associates in criminal justice.  I work, I have 4 year old twins and take care of my family and household.

Re: Kaplan Online University Respected?

Jester
So you talked to the HR of the city about a department they have little knowledge of the overall department.

Talk or do an internship with the LT. or Capt. of the Crime lab then you will know the requirements.

Also check the just listed job with Denver Crime lab. and tell me where in the requirements of patrol is.  Because you did say that in Denver you need to be on the squad before joining the lab.  Even though I never had to do that step.

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/JOB-10-08-22.html

Re: Kaplan Online University Respected?

Beth Andrews
I have also attended Kaplan University, however, I just found out that on-line students cannot join the IAI.  Just for your information.

Re: Kaplan Online University Respected?

Msclark66
Beth, I just wanted to let you know that on-line students cannot get a student membership but after they graduate and are working in the field you can get membership.