Liffting Prints that are wet

bsmith
are there any new procesess for lifting prints that are wet?
Brad Smith
Crime Scene/ID officer

the thief comes to kill, steal,and destroy; but i have come that you may have life to the full  John10:10

Re: Liffting Prints that are wet

I do know of one new (2008) process from researchers in Austrailia. It uses a new fingerprint powder made from nanoparticles of zinc oxide. Reports I have read state that the nanoparticles are very good at sticking to the fingerprint residue but not to the background surface and that the system worked exceptionally well in wet conditions. When the material with fingerprints is immersed in a solution of the nanoparticles, it delivered very clear prints.

Here are two articles on this new powder:

I have not seen this powder for sale by the evidence supply companies yet, but nano zinc oxide does appear to be available from Alpha Environmental

Of course there is the Small Particle Reagent (SPR) technique that has been around for decades.

Re: Liffting Prints that are wet

bsmith
thank you for the help. I will read those articles this morning!!

Re: Liffting Prints that are wet

Ed Reece
There is a pre-mix solution basically of photo-Flow and print powders called: Small Particle Reagent, or SPR.  This can be ordered through most Forensic companies.  As far as lifting....Place a scale beside the print and photograph.  If you do not have a 1:1 lense for the camera, then place the photo in a photo "shop" type program and use your scale to tell the program how big the image is.  You can then print the item at real size and submit to a fingerprint database such as AFIS or IAFIS.

Hope that helps...

Detective Edward Reece
Crime Scene Unit
Douglasville Police Department