Masters in Investigative Forensics

jec4585
I currently have a BS in Criminal Justice and a BA in Sociology. Would if be worth it if I go for a masters in Investigative forensics?? I'm worried that it will be hard for me to get a job dealing with forensics or crime scene investigations as my undergraduate degrees are not focused in an area of biology, chemistry, or forensics itself.

Essentially will employers feel that I do not have a strong enough science background since my undergraduate studies do not pertain to forensics.

Re: Masters in Investigative Forensics

If you want a job in Forensic Science (working in a laboratory as a Criminalist) you definately need a science degree. A BS in Biology is usually best.

If you want to work in the field as a Crime Scene Investigator you can find many agencies that don't require a heavy science education. Your BS in Criminal Justice could be enough.

There are over 250 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs. Look through the job announcements to see what employers require. You will find that many jobs require a degree, but some do not.

I suggest you look at the following page: How to Become a Crime Scene Investigator. It should give you an idea of what you need to do to become a CSI or Forensic Scientist.

jec4585 wrote
I currently have a BS in Criminal Justice and a BA in Sociology. Would if be worth it if I go for a masters in Investigative forensics?? I'm worried that it will be hard for me to get a job dealing with forensics or crime scene investigations as my undergraduate degrees are not focused in an area of biology, chemistry, or forensics itself. Essentially will employers feel that I do not have a strong enough science background since my undergraduate studies do not pertain to forensics.

Re:Masters in Investigative Forensics

moses