Min 1yr experience in Crime Scence related fields

Posted by ButterCookie ButterCookie
Hello...Brand new to this forum. I am very serious and interested in becoming a crime scene investigator. I am not clear what is meant by having a min 1 yr experience in a crime scene related field. How do you get that experience unless you are on the police force?

Steph Steph

Re: Min 1yr experience in Crime Scence related fields

Due to the huge sudden popularity in these kind of careers, demanding a year's worth of experience is one way of cutting down the vast numbers of applicants to those who already know about the job I suppose.

As for gaining the experience, it may be necessary to take on a lesser role that does not require previous experience and work your way up. Or alternatively, many university programmes now offer a year in industry, so that is a year's work placement in a forensics lab or similar (here in the UK at least, I can't speak for anywhere else.

Not all positions will require experience though, so maybe be on the look out for those if you have no experience in the field.
ButterCookie ButterCookie

Re: Min 1yr experience in Crime Scence related fields

Thanks so much!!!  Actually, I'm scheduled to take the 1.5 mile run test for the Police Dept on the 26th of this month so I will use the time in service on the police dept be my experience.  I'll also check into some of those onlice courses for Crime Scene topics.  Thanks so much!