I have read this site and the more I read, the more I am scared that I have no choice but to become an officer first in order to have any actual chance of becoming a crime scene investigator. All I want to do is process crime scenes and if it does or doesn't involves processing said evidence, then I am fine with that. I don't want to catch bad guys otherwise I would've alreadt tried to become an officer out of High School rather than work on a bachelor's in Criminal Justice from GSU. My concern is a lot of other sites say that you most likely have to become an officer in order to get work as a CSI (or whatever the position is called from place to place) It makes more sense to hire civilians, so I can see the reasoning if indeed most positions are civilian.

I am looking for some assurance that there is more research or people out there showing that the majority of these positions TODAY, is civilian filled and NOT sworn. Thank you.

Wilson CSI Wilson CSI

Re: Need Assurance From Someone Who Knows

I am a civilian CSI in NC.  There are more and more agencies going to civilian CSIs.  With in the past 6 years I know of atleast 5 or 6 agencies in NC that switched from Sworn to Civilians.  Civilians are still few and far between when looking at the country as a whole. Hope that helps.
NFA_23 NFA_23

Re: Need Assurance From Someone Who Knows

I agree with Wilson. Civillians as CSI's are becoming more and more popular. What you need to do is check with the agencies in your area, or in the part of the country that you want to work. If you have no desire to be a street cop, please don't "force" yourself in to a law enforcement career just so that "when a position as a CSI comes open, you can apply for it then". That would put you in the position of having to deal with a career you really don't want for who knows how long just to wait for something to come open, which you may not get anyway. I love being a cop, but it is sometimes really stressfull, and if I hated this job, I could not imagine putting up with the stress.

I would think with a college degree you should be able to hold out for the job you want.
Sara Staggs Sara Staggs

Re: Need Assurance From Someone Who Knows

Here is the link for suggestions on how to become a CSI: http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/becomeone.html

Becoming a sworn officer is not necessary, but I do agree that you should look into the agencies that you would like to work for and see what they require as specifics will vary slightly for different employers.