Need advice to work in a forensics lab

shawn6022
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the sie and I'm looking for some advice. I recently graduated with a master of science degree in biology and I have a bachelor of science degree in biology. I'm wanting to work in a forensic lab but I'm not sure if these requirements fit or not..
is there any kind of certification I need to obtain to be competitive in landing a job?
Any advice you can give will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Need advice to work in a forensics lab

Shawn—

Usually all you need is a Bachelor of Science in a natural science to get an entry level position in a Forensic Laboratory. Biology with some chemistry and quantitative analysis is usually the most preferred. Your Master of Science will be a plus.

No, there is no certification to get the job, just the education (some experience is required for some positions). They train entry level employees and certifications are earned on the job.

There are over 500 jobs listed in the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many of them are for Forensic Laboratory positions and many of these are entry level openings. Look through the job listings to see what the different agencies require in education.

shawn6022 wrote
I recently graduated with a master of science degree in biology and I have a bachelor of science degree in biology. I'm wanting to work in a forensic lab but I'm not sure if these requirements fit or not.. is there any kind of certification I need to obtain to be competitive in landing a job?

Re: Need advice to work in a forensics lab

shawn6022
Thanks! I kept seeing places on here to get certified in forensics and crime scene investigations. I've taken a forensic science course in my undergrad but I didn't know if the certifications would give me an advantage to landing a job or not..

Re: Need advice to work in a forensics lab

BioCleanse
To obtain a job in a crime laboratory, aspiring forensic lab technicians should have a four-year bachelor’s degree, preferably in one of the life sciences, forensic science or criminal justice. Certificate programs (about one-year) and associate’s degrees (about two years) in forensic science are also available, but these graduates qualify for lab assistant positions that are primarily entry level.

For crime scene cleaning services visit: http://www.bio-cleanse.com.au/