Need help with a college/university

Fernando
Hi, my name is Fernando.  Currently I'm finishing my AA at a Seattle College, afterward I plan to go to the Seattle University for their Criminal Justice Degree, I still have 1 more quarter before I can even consider applying, and as the time gets closer I get more nervous.  I would like to have a back up plan in case I don't get accepted but there aren't other schools in the area that I know of that offer the same degree.

My questions are, how are the online degrees from the actual college ones?  Will I be far behind or not looked at when applying for a job because my degree is online?  Any help would be appreciated, specially from anyone already working in the field.  Also any suggestion for a backup school would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Fernando

Re: Need help with a college/university

Sara Staggs
Most online degrees are comparable to campus-based degrees.  Many online degrees even require hands on experience.

Here is the College and Training page: http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/csi-training.html  Look through the extensive list of online and campus degrees and you can find your back up!

Re: Need help with a college/university

Lori
This is something I too have a question about.  I'm finishing up a Bachelor's of Fine Art currently and would like to back that up with a CJ degree. I'm interested in forensic processing, crime scene sketching, fingerprint id and of course forensic art/sketch artistry.  I understand that since most jurisdictions simply can't afford a full time forensic artists, that you really have to have other skills.

So I'm trying to find a quick (not easy) way to get from an art degree to a forensic job through additional education.  I'm in Atlanta, so there are a ton of schools around here, but most offer cyber crime or psychology, closest forensic school is over an hour away. So I've also been looking into the online schools - now I have qualms about online colleges to begin with, shaky accreditation, bad reputations, etc.  And having attended a brick and mortar college for several years now I know that the classes cannot be nearly as in depth or comprehensive...can they?

Do law enforcement agencies see a degree from somewhere like Kaplan and accept that the applicant could be good or does it immediately go into the dustbin?  I'm just concerned that the online thing is going to be a waste of me time and I might end up having to repeat courses at a brick and mortar.  I'm already 45, changing careers, so I don't have all that much time to waste:)

Can anyone out there recommend any of the onlines over any of the others? What has been your experience?

Re: Need help with a college/university

petter49
One of our friends also wanted to do criminal degree but then later she opted for global MBA. Now she is well settled and he doesn’t have any qualms for not doing earlier course.