Non-Resident Opportunities

Lloyd WL Davis
Hi, I am a mature student who has just completed a BSc (Hons) in Forensic Science in Scotland. The course is accredited by the Forensic Science Society, of which I am also a member; the FSS is affiliated with the California Association of Criminalists. I have little experience, although I did intern with the Scottish Police Services Authority (SPSA) for six weeks as well as collaborate with them on my honours project/dissertation.

I have heard of students from my university being given the opportunity to work side-by-side with US Law Enforcement during summer vacations. My question is, how easy is it for a non-resident to secure a civilian level position as a Criminalist/Crime Scene Examiner/Investigator?

It has long been a dream of mine to work in this field and to do so in the US, any information would be appreciated, or if I need to look elsewhere, a nod in the right direction would be of equal use.

Re: Non-Resident Opportunities

Lloyd--

Congratulations on completing your BSc (Hons) in Forensic Science.

To work as a non-permanent resident in the United States you would have to find an employer who will sponsor you for a temporary worker visa for a job opening they have. Since there are a lot of USA citizens applying for the CSI and forensic jobs, it will be difficult for you to get an agency to go to the trouble of sponsoring you unless you have a lot of experience or a speciality they really want. And most agencies want career employees, not temporary workers.

Another way to work legally in the United States would be to get a Green Card (Permanent Residence).

Lloyd WL Davis wrote
...My question is, how easy is it for a non-resident to secure a civilian level position as a Criminalist/Crime Scene Examiner/Investigator? It has long been a dream of mine to work in this field and to do so in the US, ...

--Steve