Over-educated, Under-experienced

Posted by Stephanie Stephanie
What is considered an "entry level" position in the Forensic Science community? I currently possess a Bachelors degree in Animal Science as as well as a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and have been unable to break into the industry because of a lack of experience. I would eventually like to work in the field of Animal Forensics but would love any position that gets my foot in the door. I live in Sacramento, CA and am hitting dead-end after dead-end in my search. Any ideas of a position that appreciates 6 years of Higher education and TWO Bachelors degrees?

Been there Been there

Re: Over-educated, Under-experienced

Just keep trying. I was in the same boat. Try volunteering or interning somewhere if you can. Or you can find a community college near you that offers a certificate in crime scene investigation or forensics. Anything you do to to make yourself stand out will be best.
Driven Driven

Re: Over-educated, Under-experienced

The advice about obtaining a forensics certificate is great advice.  I only have an AS in Admin. of Justice but have a certificate in Forensic Investigation, after completing 534 hours through a vocational program.  I applied for a crime scene investigation type job in S. California last month, was invited to test a couple of weeks later and am going back next week to interview.  I don't know what your preference is, but I would suggest that you be open to moving wherever a good opportunity is.  I've made the list of eligibility to help out the deputy coroner in a nearby county, and I tested and interviewed with the Sheriff's Office in SF and also made their list of eligibility.  I have no job experience in this field, but was a claims adjuster for many years so I used the investigation aspect of that job when applying for something in the criminal investigation field.  If you have any experience from previous jobs that you can correlate to this field then you should highlight that in your resume.  I hope any of this advice helps...good luck!
Stephanie Lyn Stephanie Lyn

Re: Over-educated, Under-experienced

Thanks for the ideas guys. I've tried applying for internships with Coroners office, and Sac PD and Sheriff, but they all say you have to be a current full-time student. (I can't believe there are THAT many people itching to work with dead bodies...for free!)  No colleges around here offer Forensic certificates and at the moment I am unable to relocate. My degree in Criminal Justice was a Forensic-Science Transition, So I've been pre-admitted to Grad school in Forensics, but would have to move to So Cal. I've even worked for a police department while in college and am told that I have to have a sponsoring agency in order to get into a POST program. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels here. Frustrated but not unmotivated!