I am currently a graduate student w/ a major in Forensic Science and have been searching the web for the rules in New York State as to who "owns" the victims body in a crime scene"? Who is allowed to move the body and collect evidence off of the body? Anybody have the answers or could you point me in the right direction?
Thanks

Chris McClure Chris McClure

Re: Ownership of crime scene

It may vary from state to state, but typically the medical examiner controls the body and directs when it can be moved and what can or can't be done by investigators and crime scene techs.

On Jul 7, 2009, at 11:17 PM, "Ed (via Nabble) - No Reply" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am currently a graduate student w/ a major in Forensic Science and have been searching the web for the rules in New York State as to who "owns" the victims body in a crime scene"? Who is allowed to move the body and collect evidence off of the body? Anybody have the answers or could you point me in the right direction?
Thanks

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Ownership-of-crime-scene-tp3223264p3223264.html
To start a new topic under Crime Scene Investigator Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Crime Scene Investigator Forum, click here.

SA Chris McClure
Bureau of Criminal Investigation
Virginia State Police
Crime Scene Forensic Tech
carlaCSI carlaCSI

Re: Ownership of crime scene

I would check with your local medical examiner's office.  In any death/homicide investigation I do not move or touch the body prior to the medical examiner arriving on scene.  All I do is clear a path to the body for the medical investigator.  They are in control of the body and have custody of it.  I will assist them in moving the body or retrieving identification if the decedent has not been identified.