Personal Protection

Tuc8
I'm doing research for a proposal at my agency. I'm currently a Forensic Technician with a Sheriff's dept. I'm located in the Southwestern US. On occasions we process crime scene in remote desert locations. The only protection I have is one deputy on scene with me. In light of the changing attitudes towards law enforcement today, I'm wanting to propose arming the techs. So, I'm gathering info on how many forensic crime scene investigators are armed through the country.
Thx in advance.
D Jones

Re: Personal Protection

Pedro Santos
Hey Tuc8!

I'm not from the USA but i can tell you who things happen in Europe (at least in my country)
In here the techs used to have a weapon due to the nature of the job (security reasons) but some time ago the crime lab began to ask for the techs to give their weapons back and from that time on we have some police officers in the premises of the crime scene.

Since I'm here maybe you could help me out too...I'm an unemployed forensic cientist with a master in Genetics but i don't know if i can work in the USA. Is it mandatory to be a US citizen or can i apply to a job?

Thank  you!

Re: Personal Protection

Pedro Santos —

You must have legal status to work in the United States.

To work as a non-permanent resident in the United States you would have to find an employer who will sponsor you for a temporary worker visa for a job opening they have. Since there are a lot of USA citizens applying for the CSI and forensic jobs, it will be difficult for you to get an agency to go to the trouble of sponsoring you unless you have a lot of experience or a specialty they really want. And most agencies want career employees, not temporary workers.

Another way to work legally in the United States would be to get a Green Card (Permanent Residence). It is possible to get a Green Card through a job offer. (You may be eligible to become a permanent resident based on an offer of permanent employment in the United States. Most categories require an employer to get a labor certification and then file a Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker, for you.)

Meanwhile, here is a listing of over 400 Crime Scene Investigator and Forensic Scientist jobs in the United States (the most complete listing on the internet).