Please please real crime scene investigators only

Please please real crime scene investigators only

Derek
Hello,
      My name is Derek and I am a student of paramedicine but looking for a change in venue. I have been researching on this site about, 'how to be a crime scene investigator', schools, jobs, etc. I recently got information for a school entitled, "American InterContinental University". They have a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice with concentration in Forensic Science. Considering I have never heard of this school until this website, I was wondering if this is the 'real deal' (you could say).  I very much want to be a crime scene investigator and am wondering if this school can grant that dream. I have spoke to them and got some information about their program and their school. If anyones knows anything about this school please fill me in.

      If there is a Crime Scene Investigator who reads this then please let me know if you know anything about this school and whether it can lead me to your spot.

Re: Please please real crime scene investigators only

Misty
Hey,

I am not a CSI yet. I'm a student with South University which has online programs. My major is criminal justice and you get to choose between 4 or 5 fields. I have chosen crime scene investigation. My classes will be 5 to 6 weeks long and hopefully, I'll be able to graduate sooner. Hope it helps!

Re: Please please real crime scene investigators only

carlaCSI

I do not know about online colleges.  I got my Bachelors and Masters in Crimnal justice at Wichita State University in Wichita KS.  WSU also offers a degree in Forensic Science. It has the best faculty and they are always there to help you.  Other colleges that have CJ programs are John Jay in NYC, Sam Houston in Texas, I am sure there are more out there.  I found that a classroom setting is better for me because I have the immediate feedback of the instructor  and classmates.
If I have questions I do not need to wait for an email back from the instructor.  I have taken a couple of on line classes and did not care for them.
Another thing to consider about online colleges is if the credits will transfer to another program if you decide not to finish the degree with their college.  If you have to take classes over due to non-transferable credits that is a waste of your hard earned money.
Hope this helps.

Re: Please please real crime scene investigators only

Leasa
I can honestly say you need a 4 year degree in science.  You have basically covered all the bases if you do that.  Many places will train you if you have a science degree but, won't if you have a criminal justice degree in crime scene investigation.
CSI

Re: Please please real crime scene investigators only

CSI
I have been a Crime Scene Investigator for 10 years recently quit my department about 2 years ago. Just remember the crime scene field is very limited, everyone is going to school but the jobs just aren't available. I have been looking for sometime now for another CSI job, and I can't even seem to find any jobs in my state. Before you spend the money and the time, I suggest you really think about it. You also need to have a strong stomache and be able to disassociate yourself from real life when going to the dead body scenes. If not you will see them in your sleep. Good Luck!!

Re: Please please real crime scene investigators only

Wilson CSI
I have to agree with CSI.  I been working in this for now 6 and half years.  I see a large number of people interested in going into Crime Scene related work.  I had a number of interns and volunteers over the years and to this date not a one has been able to get into it so far.  It is a very very competitive field to get into now.  You must be willing to not give up if it is something you want to do or be willing to relocate to have a chance of getting something.  I was blessed with being in the right place at the right time.

You really do need a strong stomach in this line of work.  I have worked some of the most disturbing homicide, rape, shooting, etc.. scenes I think are out there.  Being able to disassociate yourself and remain unattached emotionally is a must or this job will eat you alive.  Also your family suffers too.  I missed birthdays, anniverseries, funerals, and vacations.   You must have a strong supportive family behind you.  My wife is the best.

It can be a very rewarding profession.  But it is going to be a long hard road to hoe.

MDM

Re: Please please real crime scene investigators only

MDM
I've been interested in Crime Scene Investigations since about 7th grade.  I didn't have the means to go to college after I got my GED but now I do. I'm 25 and just enrolled in Everest University Online in the Crime Scene Investigations program but after reading the many posts and replies from different people in this field, I'm seriously second guessing my decision. For the most part, I know my stomach can handle the "ugly" parts of the job (I'm more worried about my nose lol) but if there arent any jobs out there then should I really spend the money and time for nothing?  I can honestly say that I'm not doing it for the money but I really think that I will enjoy the work.  I'm just finding most of the posts and replies very disheartening...Please any input will be greatly appreciated ASAP considering my start date for college is August 24th.....