Police Officer

Posted by 1disturbed1 1disturbed1
I'm gettting a degree in Criminal Justice and want to become a CSI. I read you have to become a police officer before you can be a CSI? Is this a requirement?

Victoria Victoria

Re: Police Officer

You are going to need to check with the agency you want to work with to see what their requirments are.  The most common requirements are one of two things.  The first would be to have a bachelors degree with 2-4 years experience working in the field.  The second is to be a police officer for a certain number of years.  Each agency is differnent so you have to make phone calls to find out for sure.  It can vary considerably from town to town.  For example in Miami, Fl you have to be a police officer for a year before your eligible to transfer to the CSI division.  In Denver, Co you have to be a police officer for a minimum of 4 years.  In Seattle its 3 years.  I can't stress enough that you have to make phone calls and find these things out.  Especially if you are needing to or planning on moving for the job you want.  The worst thing would be to make a big move to a new state or city to find out you can't or arn't willing to do the time as a police officer.
Michelle Michelle

Re: Police Officer

I agree that you must call around first.  Several agencies in Utah do not require CSIs to be police officers first as well as some in Oregon.  Keep checking job annoucements to gain a better idea.
Wilson CSI Wilson CSI

Re: Police Officer

Victoria is right on.  It depends agency to agency.  There is a big push across America to switch to Non Sworn CSIs.  I am a Non Sworn person in NC.  But it really comes down to where you want to live and what is open in that area.  Call the agencies you would like to work for or keep an eye for jobs on sites such as the IAI.