Polygraph Test

Posted by anonymous anonymous
Would any prior drug use preclude one from a career in forensic science? I am an extremely well qualified candidate for a Masters program in forensic science, but casually used marijuana my freshman year of college. If this were to come up in a polygraph test, would it negate my consideration for a position as a DNA analyst?

NFA_23 NFA_23

Re: Polygraph Test

My opinion is no. What counts is honesty and how you feel about it now. You will likely be asked how many times you tried it, I suggest you answer it as honestly as possible. A good background investigator will be able to track down some of your friends from that time period. If some of your friends say "we smoked it about once a week for a year" and your answer is "I did it three or four times", they will have something to question your integreity, and thus your worth to the department. I am sure you think that your friends wouldn not do that to you. Your close friends won't, but its those "kind of knew him, but not really friends with him" people that can bite you in the back. Have at least some idea of how many times you smoked it, too. I was on an interview board one time where the applicant had put that they "smoked some occasionally with friends in high school", when how many times, she  said "I don't know". We then asked, "can you just estimate?", and she couldn't. When pressed, she said "I really have no idea". Needless to say, she didn't get the job.

You'll be asked why you tried it. Just answer honestly, and that you never did again after you experimented.

strangefacde strangefacde

Re: Polygraph Test

im  also wondering in my very near past i did alot of drugs n not only that all tha friends i had/have are gang members n what not. i no longer live in da same state as my past  its been about a year since i moved. but would that matter in order to get a job. n for the poloy well when they ask how many tymes i used that will be hard 2 diffcult 2 answer it was once to many but ive been clean now n plan too n im willing to be honest bout it n even get drig tested as often or necssary.
NFA_23 NFA_23

Re: Polygraph Test

I think it will not be easy for you. Like I said on the other post, what employers what to see is that things you did in the past was just you being kid. With time, it will be easy to say that you have gotten past that. But, I don't know if a year is enough time. It will look good that you do not associate with those folks anymore, and don't even live near them, but it still will not be easy. I think you should surely try to get the job you want, if you don't get it, keep trying. If you try several times for the job you want, with different agencies, it will show them how much you really want the job, and how important it is to you. As far as the past drug use, make sure anticipate them getting in contact with your past friends, who may not know how to keep your secrets. You can't lie, but you don't have to tell them exactly how much you did. I think what would do you best is tell why you changed. Was there some significant event to cause you to change? Something like that would be good to show what a big dramatic change you have made, and tell why you are heading in the direction you are going in.

Good luck to you, and take care.

This email is a reply to your post @ http://n2.nabble.com/Polygraph-Test-tp2966504p3153217.html