I wondered if leather gloves would leave unique prints? If so, would such prints stand up as crucial evidence at trial?
Thanks so much!

Wilson CSI Wilson CSI

Re: Prints

Gloves can leave unique prints behind.  An examiner will look for the imperfections like cracks in the glove, worn areas, etc... to make a match.  Works in much same way as latent prints, shoe, and tire impressions
Hotwired Hotwired

Re: Prints

As WilsonCSI states - leather gloves can leave unique prints at scenes.  The location of skin pores, defects in the leather, damage features and the stitching pattern can be unique.

The problem I have encountered is - yes, that glove has left a mark at the scene, but who was wearing it at the time?

Unlike a fingerprint - attached for life, a glove can be discarded. I find gloves near crime scenes quite often, getting permission to send them off can be quite difficult without a suspect.

We have recently had good results with DNA profiling of material inside the glove to show who was the wearer.

Used in conjunction - glove match to scene, DNA match to wearer - we have had succesful convictions.

Also bear in mind that many people remove gloves using their teeth - so DNA on the outside of the fingertips can also link to the wearer - and LCN (Low copy number DNA profiling, or 'touch DNA') can be used to swab a scene glove mark and potentially get a DNA profile from the scene.

I have been swabbing glove marks for a few years now and I think (off the top of my head) I have had one full profile - not yet a match as the offender is not on the NDNAD (national DNA database).
wal1809 wal1809

Re: Prints

I have found in recent years the crimnals are getting smarter.  They are stopping at the local stores and buying (shoplifting) the cheap cotton gloves with the friction dimples on the palm side.  In a marority of the cases you can easily see the impressions left behind by the friction dimples.  Usually you see the dimple impressions at the entry point where they shattered the glass and remove the pieces to allow entry.  In some cases we have send the gloves for DNA analysis with some success.  The problem as stated prior is it is not an affirmative link to the inside of a crime scene and not times not very probative.