Private and Independent Labs

Budde
I was wondering, How often, do you think Private and Independent labs work with law enforcement agencies to process and analyze crime scenes?

Meaning they would get a call, go to the scene, process it and take it to their lab and analyze it; along with notifying the police agency with their findings.

Re: Private and Independent Labs

CSISUMTER
I think agencies utilize the independent labs for processing collected evidence.  I haven't heard of any independent labs working scenes for law enforcement. OTOH...

Re: Private and Independent Labs

kphllps
Process scene? Very rarely.

Analyze evidence? Only if another agency can't handle the required processing.
Jim

Re: Private and Independent Labs

Jim
Private labs will never process a crime scene, at least I've never heard of it.  They are used more to analyze collected evidence from lower priority casework from police agencies over-burdened by their current caseload.  A prime example is the LAPD sexual assault evidence kit backlog.  They can also be used as analysts/experts for criminal defense.