Qualification

Tabitha
I am currently getting my BA in crime scene investigation, my boyfriend informed me that in order to get a job in the field i am studying i have to pass a credit check or i wont get the job, so my question is...in order for me to acctually get a job in crime scene investigation do i have to pass a credit check??? if so i will have to rethink my major because i have horrid credit

Thank you

Tabitha

Re: Qualification

Wilson CSI
In most law enforcement jobs they do a credit check as a part of the hiring process.  Studies evidently show that people with bad credit or in major debt are more suspectable to taking bribes and pay off.  It isn't always a deal breaker if your credit is not too good it is up to agency hiring you.

Re: Qualification

Tabitha—

As a crime scene investigator or forensic scientist you will often be in a position to handle cash (sometimes very large quantities). It makes no sense for an agency to hire someone with a credit problem. Also, how you handle credit is a reflection of your maturity and decision making. That is one of the major reason agencies do background investigations on candidates. During the background investigation they will do a credit report and find out how you have handled your finances.

That being said, if you have cleared up your credit problems, then most agencies will take that into consideration. If your credit problems were a result of a big medical expense, they will take that into consideration. Most everyone makes mistakes. The questions are: how big were the mistakes, what have you done to overcome the mistakes, and is it possible the mistakes will be repeated after hire.

If you have bad credit right now, fix it. If you have big credit card balances, pay them down. Get a part time job or sell some of your stuff to pay down balances. If you have an expensive car that you can't afford, sell it and get something reasonable. When you apply for a CSI or Forensic Science job they will see you are taking steps to get out of your bad credit situation.

The most important thing is to be truthful. You may have to take a polygraph examination. If you admit your mistakes before the background investigation and polygraph you have a chance. It you try to conceal your mistakes and are found out during the polygraph or background investigation you will be disqualified.

One thing you might want to do is identify the agency you might want to work for, and contact the person at the agency who does backgrounds. Tell that person your situation and see what they say and/or recommend.

Tabitha wrote
in order for me to acctually get a job in crime scene investigation do i have to pass a credit check??? if so i will have to rethink my major because i have horrid credit

Re: Qualification

Elizabeth
Credit is a huge factor. I am going through identity theft (over $13,000 in fraudulent accounts on my credit report) and I know when I was going through the background investigation I needed the police incident report I had on file, the investigators name, phone number, email address, and progress of my case. I had to jump through so many hoops to get the job I have to prove that the $13,000 was not my fault or result of my inability to pay, or bad judgement. I'm sure if you talk with the agency and explain your situation, they will listen, but like has been said before, if it's because you opened credit cards just cause it was "cool" and never paid them, that's probably a deal breaker, but if it legitimate, I'm sure they will understand.