Question about Crime Lab Smell

M. Dunham
Are there any smells you identify with the crime lab when you work in it?

Re: Question about Crime Lab Smell

Chris McClure
Super Glue!
Alcohol, gunpowder, and the general smell of chemicals.
If you have the medical examiner's office in the same building, you get all of the wonderful smells associated with their shop.

On Jul 12, 2009, at 11:00 AM, "M. Dunham (via Nabble)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Are there any smells you identify with the crime lab when you work in it?

View message @ http://n2.nabble.com/Question-about-Crime-Lab-Smell-tp3245997p3245997.html
To start a new topic under Crime Scene Investigator Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Crime Scene Investigator Forum, click here.

SA Chris McClure
Bureau of Criminal Investigation
Virginia State Police
Crime Scene Forensic Tech

Re: Question about Crime Lab Smell

NFA_23
Mine sometimes smells strongly of marijuana. I test marijuana in my office/lab too, so sometimes I have some setting out to be tested. Right now its very strong, cause we getting ready to destroy lots of it, so we have had alot of it out. I work at a smaller department, so I am responsible for processing evidence and testing marijuana.

But usually the strongest smell is the superglue. Our cyanoacrylate fuming chamber is near the door, so it is very strong.

Re: Question about Crime Lab Smell

wal1809
+1 on the weed and super glue

Re: Question about Crime Lab Smell

Bio Bill
1)  Evidence room definitely reeks of weed.
2)  Firearms smells like gunpowder, but only in the firing range room.
3)  Latent prints has a hint of super glue but only right after they've done a lift....everything is done in fume hoods so the vapors get eliminated pretty quick
4)  Narco also smells like weed but not like the Evidence room.
5)  Biology section can smell like just about anything...we get some pretty random evidence to look at and we use lots of chemicals.  A guy in our lab had a burned up sleeping bag that had a nice mix of char and decay I won't soon forget.
6)  Toxicology can smell like piss sometimes

can't think of any others right now!