RE: Being a non-sworn officer

Posted by Joseph Rauch Joseph Rauch
What is the legality, if an investigator asks you to start policing, while in school? What is the circumstances for the investigator to do so? Is one considered impersonating an officer, after the lead investigator tells you to do something?

Wilson CSI Wilson CSI

RE: Being a non-sworn officer

I am a non sworn CSI.  It is made clear that we do no work that only a sworn officer can do.  I never been asked to do any type of "police" work by the detective nor my supervisors.  Now on the flip side, at least in North Carolina, when a sworn law enforcement officer ask for your assistance you get the same sworn powers as he does for that short amount of time.  So if there is a time that there is trouble and and officers yells for my help I can do what ever a law enforcement officer would do to help that him / her.