Re: Civillian Crime Scene Investigators

Cordelia
I wish i was living up there in california. I am in Miami .I graduated with a bachelor in criminal justice and has been looking for a job in crime scene since then and every agency is telling me i have to be an officer first, which i think is bull. If u are hired to do a job you have to be trained to do the job differently for every department so it should not matter if you are a police or not to be what you want to become. I wish you can give me some advice and how to start by getting the job i think i will be good at.

Re: Civilian Crime Scene Investigators in Florida

Cordelia--

You must be asking the wrong agencies. While some agencies do use sworn officers for their CSI positions, Florida is one of the best states for civilian CSI and Forensic positions. Here are a few CSI job openings that have been posted on this website (NOTE-these are positions that have been filled, they are examples):

None of the openings above require you to be a sworn officer first.

You just need to keep looking. There are many positions in Florida for civilian CSIs.

Cordelia wrote
... I am in Miami. I graduated with a bachelor in criminal justice and has been looking for a job in crime scene since then and every agency is telling me i have to be an officer first, ...

--Steve

Re: Civillian Crime Scene Investigators

Dave Hammond
You may also want to contact the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE). I know that some of the people doing crime scene work may not be sworn officers. I received some great training from N. Leroy Parker who is a crime scene supervisor with that agency.

Good Luck!

Re: Civillian Crime Scene Investigators

klrCSI
Steve, Do you know if other states hire civilian CSI's? I will be taking a CPR class next friday..it's free so i figured why not take it!....and a citizen police academy course which is 12weeks long. Also, the Citizen police academy, which is offered through the orange county in florida, is it worth doing? will it mean anything on my resume? Thanks!
Kristin
KlrCSI