Re: Civillian Crime Scene Investigators

Patricia Drury
Hi,
 I am getting ready to graduate with a Bachelors of science in Criminal Justice:Forensic Investigations. I have applied everywhere in my area (Kansas City Kansas) and keep running into the same problem. I have to go through the police academy and be a street patrol officer for 3 years before I can even apply as a crime scene tech. This is a job I have always wanted and was wondering why, even though I am getting my degree don't they tell you BEFORE you get your degree you may have to be a cop first?? I am 41years old and really want to work I don't want to be an officer I just want to work crime scene. How do I make this process easier???  I have a resume and great references.

Re: Civillian Crime Scene Investigators

Patricia--

Congratulations on nearing the completion of your degree program!

As you can see from many other posts on this forum, there are many agencies in many states where civilian CSIs are used. I suppose the college should have told you that some agencies use sworn personnel, but then again they might expect people to research the career possibilities before they begin a degree program.

You can actually see many agencies are recruiting for non-sworn evidence technician and forensic positions by reading through the job opening announcements and job descriptions on the employment page of this website. We have posted hundreds of job openings and none of them have been for a sworn position.

I know there are civilian CSI and forensic positions in your area. The Johnson County (Kansas) Sheriff's Department (very close to Kansas City, KS) has civilian Crime Scene Investigators and Forensic Scientists. The Kansas City, Missouri Police Department uses civilian Crime Scene Technicians. NOTE: All of the these job postings have been filled, they are just examples. There are other agencies in your area that use civilians.

So, to answer your question "How do I make this process easier?" I would suggest you only apply to agencies that hire civilian CSIs. Call the Human Resource Department at the agencies you are interested in working at and ask for the basic requirements.

The jobs are out there, you just need to seek them out and you may need to consider relocating. Timing is everything. Best wishes in your search and career.

Patricia Drury wrote
I am getting ready to graduate with a Bachelors of science in Criminal Justice:Forensic Investigations. I have applied everywhere in my area (Kansas City Kansas) and keep running into the same problem. I have to go through the police academy and be a street patrol officer for 3 years before I can even apply as a crime scene tech. This is a job I have always wanted and was wondering why, even though I am getting my degree don't they tell you BEFORE you get your degree you may have to be a cop first?? I am 41years old and really want to work I don't want to be an officer I just want to work crime scene. How do I make this process easier??? ...

--Steve

Re: Civillian Crime Scene Investigators

Patricia—

A new job opening for a civilian Crime Scene/Evidence Technician at the Salina, Kansas Police Department has been posted.

Re: Civillian Crime Scene Investigators

Zach
I read your link to the Johnson County Sheriff's Department and it doesn't say anything about becoming a sworn officer but when I go to the Johnson County Sheriff's Department homepage it talks about being an officer for 3 years before joining the CSI department