Regarding employment opportunites

Maria Bouzis
Hi guys,

I have my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice with an emphasis in Crime Scene Investigation. MAJOR PROBLEM, I can't get hired on because I have no experience in that field.  How can you get experience if no employer offers it or gives you a chance.  I can't seem to find any on the job training either.  Even an entry level position requires you to have some sort of experience and education.  Well, I have the education!!!  I'm willing to start at the bottom, entry level but come on....give me some on the job training.  I live in Denver, CO.  Any ideas people????  I'm desperate and very very frustrated!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,

Maria Bouzis

Re: Regarding employment opportunites

Csi86
Crime scene investigation is a very difficult field to get into. Best bet is try and get a "for now" job and get an internship on the side for the experience.

Re: Regarding employment opportunites

csidt1
Hi Maria,

I will suggest that you contact Mr. Hayden Baldwin @ icsia.org

That would be my first choice :-)

Cheers,
Mack

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Maria Bouzis [via Crime Scene Investigator Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

I have my Bachelor's in Criminal Justice with an emphasis in Crime Scene Investigation. MAJOR PROBLEM, I can't get hired on because I have no experience in that field.  How can you get experience if no employer offers it or gives you a chance.  I can't seem to find any on the job training either.  Even an entry level position requires you to have some sort of experience and education.  Well, I have the education!!!  I'm willing to start at the bottom, entry level but come on....give me some on the job training.  I live in Denver, CO.  Any ideas people????  I'm desperate and very very frustrated!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,

Maria Bouzis

http://crime-scene-investigator-forum.1487094.n2.nabble.com/Regarding-employment-opportunites-tp7573642.html
To unsubscribe from Crime Scene Investigator Forum, click here.
NAML

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.

Re: Regarding employment opportunites

sandra
We're in the same boat, but I'm looking for crime scene tech positions! (my post is the one below yours in the forum) I feel your frustration! The only thing that has helped a bit is my internship I did at the DA's office in the criminal investigations unit. Unfortunately I realized what I really wanted to do AFTER I finished my internship my senior year and graduated, or else I would have interned at the Coroners office or a forensic lab : /  But stay positive there has to be something out there for us new comers entering the professional field. Glad to know I'm not alone in this career struggle!

Sending good vibes : )

Sandra Cuellar
EFB

Re: Regarding employment opportunites

EFB
I started in Dispatch to get my foot in the door.  We have fully qualified people volunteering with us now just to get that much needed experience.  IF you decide to go that route, treat every day like it is a job interview.  They/We are watching your work ethic and dedication that you put forth.  Once that job opening does come along, they already know you and know your capabilities.  You will not be allowed to touch or handle evidence.  You will shuffle alot of paper and do menial tasks.  Do it with a smile knowing you are getting the experience that will open alot of other doors.  With that said, we are a small community where everyone knows everyone else....so show them nothing but your best.  Good luck!

Re: Regarding employment opportunites

Maria—

Volunteer work with different agencies will be helpful. Sometimes you can find an agency that will let you work as a volunteer or intern in the CSI Unit.

Here is a tip if you are having trouble getting a CSI job: Apply for a "related" job, such as a Forensic Autopsy Technician, Evidence Custodian, Property Officer, Community Service Officer, etc. This can be a way to "get your foot in the door" or gain on-the-job experience that will help in getting the job you want later.

To get in this career field you may find you need to move to a different location to get an entry level job. But once you have worked a while in that entry level position you will have the experience required for other jobs.

There are over 500 jobs listed on the employment opportunity page of the Crime Scene Investigator Network. Many are entry level jobs.

You can sign up for a daily email of new CSI and Forensic Science job postings. The email alerts go out Monday through Friday and have 10 to 15 new jobs each day. Or you can sign up on twitter and receive the new job post alerts that way. Sign up at http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/jobalerts.html