Science Fair Project

JVH13
I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for a science fair project? I was thinking blood spatter or something with fingerprints....?!?!?!?!
D7

Re: Science Fair Project

D7
My daughter did a project on "Enviromental Effects on Latent Prints"  where we she purposely placed latent prints on 3"x3" glass slides and photo documented before, during and after exposing them to a time period if the elements like wind, rain, snow, heat and cold and a control with no exposure.  Took a 1st place ribbon at the district level but unfortunately there wasn't that much if an interest in the idea at the regoinal level.  Good Luck

Re: Science Fair Project

jersey
I attended a forensic science conference a few years ago and one of the classes was a study of bloodstain patterns (formerly called blood spatter).  There was a hands on portion where we struck sponges soaked with fake blood.  The sponges were of various sizes and saturation levels, and struck with instruments of different sizes, shapes, and weights. The impacts were made in different numbers, with different amounts of force, and at different angles.  The surrounding area was lined with large sheets of butcher paper to contain the fake blood.  The patterns were then studied at the various stations to determine differences based on weapons utilized, surfaces impacted, saturation level, number of impacts, strength of impacts, and angle of impacts.

It was one of the best hands on projects I've been a part of since entering this field.

Re: Science Fair Project

JVH13
Thanks D7... that sounds really cool!!! Also, thanks jersey! My friends and I actually decided on pretty much the same thing. I also wanted to let the guests try to make different patterns and such, and then we would teach them about it, instead of just looking at pictures of our experiment!