Seeking employment in Crime Scene Unit

JBrown
Hello everyone,
I have a question in regarding to re-applying for a position at a police department. I have recently failed a polygraph (Dec.2014) that indicated deception on my end. I have unintentionally 'lied' during my examination and did not stated what was on my mind. My question is whether I have a chance to re-apply with that same police department or at any other state?
I'm not sure if it matters at all, but I graduated with Bachelor's in Criminal Justice and Criminology from Arizona State University and I'm currently living in Midland/Odessa, TX. I'm currently employed with U.S. Attorney's office in Midland, TX. I'd like to think of myself as an honest person, and I am convinced of it, but I am not sure that I can validate that when I apply for their position since I've already failed one polygraph.
Thank you.
Liz

Re: Seeking employment in Crime Scene Unit

Liz
I've failed plenty of polygraph exams. Before the test, ask if you can hear the questions, and if you have any doubt, tell the examiner, and ask him to rephrase the question. I know on mine, they asked about involvement in domestic abuse. I was abused as a child, so I asked the examiner to rephrase the question. He rephrased it to "in my adult life, have I been involved in domestic abuse situations" This way, I knew that nothing pre-18 years old is required to be stated, and I was able to honestly say no to the question.

Nerves also play a big role. My first exam, I apparently lied about wearing a watch (one of the control question). I was not wearing a watch, but according to the test, I lied and was wearing one. Just make sure you're relaxed, and if you need to, go over the questions before hand. I wouldn't recommend applying for the same agency, but I see no problem applying elsewhere.

Good luck!

Re: Seeking employment in Crime Scene Unit

JBrown
Thank you! I appreciate your response!

Re: Seeking employment in Crime Scene Unit

Neil
You would need to speak with their HR department for specifics. Taking advice on here will only apply to the agency the poster knows about. It can be different somewhere else. With that said, the questions should have been asked once before the real test because that way if there is an issue, the examiner can address it and clarify the question, ask an entirely different question, or use your explanation when determining the results. Its standard procedure and if that wasn't done, I would question the validity and expertise of the background examination unit. You don't strap someone into a machine and fire questions at them and read results based on your body's reaction to nerves and stress without making the person feel comfortable 1st by reviewing the test once with them.

Re: Seeking employment in Crime Scene Unit

jbrown
Thank you, I have actually contacted the Police Department and I was informed that since I have failed the polygraph I cannot apply for the agency for 1 whole year. I recently found out that some PD disqualify you automatically if you have failed any polygraph examinations in the past... Is that possible?
Anyway, regarding the testing, the before test questions were administered as they were supposed to. I was aware of the vague questions that the officer was asking. There was a huge mistake on my end that I have not explained one of the answers I gave him before the test. I do not believe that there was any type of mistake on his end.

Re: Seeking employment in Crime Scene Unit

csi18
There is usually a 1 year waiting period to re apply